Birds of AU
- App Store Info
DescriptionPictoral database of a cross-section of Australia's birds, with high-resolution images. Over 1000 birds covering many families are included here.
NOTE: All images are believed to have the Public Domain OR Creative Commons Share-Alike license, allowing for commercial distribution. Attribution is done using the small Earth icon at the top of each detail page, which links users to the source page from where the image was derived.
This app is mainly aimed at zoologists, ornithologists, students, professors, scientists, hobbyists, and those in the field who wish for help identifying birds, or learn a bit about what they're seeing in the field.
You do not need an internet connection to use this app. All bird images and information are viewable offline.
This is an excellent pocket reference for those who wish to learn more about birds, and especially if you are in the field. If you need help identifying a specimen, or if you need to look up a scientific or common name, this app may be just for you! This is a photo-based application.
A subset of the overall feature list for this application includes:
- Advanced search for all birds. The top 100 birds are returned by the search engine. If you need a more finely-tuned search, simply add more terms into the search field.
- Add/edit/remove birds, and access birds you added using My Images. If you find animal data that needs revision, you can edit it using your on-screen keypad, or add your own interesting data, or perhaps an image that you took while in the field.
- You can rate birds on a 5-star system. Once rated, the bird entry is much easier to access later since you can just tap on the "Top Rated" button in the "More" section at the bottom of the screen.
- Mark your favorite birds, and view them in the Favorites area. This is similar to the "Top Rated" feature, but with more direct access since the button is always-visible at the bottom of the screen.
- E-mail any bird to a friend, and CC or BCC it, too.
- Rename categories and add/remove categories. We've given you a starting point to help you categorize and organize your birds, but you can always add more, or change the default categorization. Also, you can put any bird in up to 2 categories, if desired.
- "View All" birds for access to every item in the database. This can take a few seconds to load since there are a LOT of photos in this app.
- Use a simple "finger swipe" gesture to move from one bird to another, or use the previous/next buttons. Navigating this birds database has never been easier!
- Insert a textual comment about the bird. For example, you may want to keep some notes about where you last observed the bird. Or, perhaps you would like to keep track of where you learned about it, or when the photo was taken.
- The history feature keeps a log of what you've seen, so you can always go back to re-read about that animal you remembered from days ago.
- A Settings screen allows you to change the relative font sizes and the size of the history table.
COPYRIGHT & LICENSE INFORMATION
The content contained in this app comes from a variety of public domain sources, including US government websites, Wikipedia Commons, public universities, and public domain archives. To the best of our knowledge, the images used in this app can be used in commercial products without license restriction.
If you have questions about our use of this content, or if you believe that some of this content may be copyrighted, please contact Darren Gates at [email protected]