Ellington & Linton
- App Store Info
DescriptionVillage guides are a unique new series of guides designed for the iPhone and iPads. They allow both the casual visitor and the long-time resident to have a fascinating insight into the past by telling the story of villages through text, audio and superb archive photographs.
Set in the north-east of England, they bring the region’s particular mix of industrial and medieval past to light in a way that traditional guide books cannot match. They also have very useful information for the visitor such as listing where to park or finding out where the nearest cash-point is. Plus you can also find out somewhere great to eat.
This village guide covers Ellington and Linton, describing fifteen fascinating buildings or sites to go and look at. It has over eighty photographs and illustrations, many of which are archive photos that are seldom seen and the story behind each site is available in fifteen unique recordings to listen to and enjoy as you walk around and explore. Unbelievably, you get all this for the price you would pay for a cup of coffee!
• See signs of prehistoric life at Linton.
• Unearth the explanation behind “The Ducket” in Ellington.
• Read about the first water mills at Ellington and Linton and trace the old mill races that powered them.
• Uncover the story of the discovery of coal at Linton.
• Hear about the life and death of the last working mine of the Great Northern Coal Field.
• Find out how the miners spent their free time.
• Seek out the old Linton Brickworks.
• Discover what happened when the Luftwaffe attacked North Linton Farm.
I hope that you enjoy it and that it encourages you to try out other village guides in the series, such as Lynemouth, Cresswell or Newbiggin-by-the Sea.