Desktop Dungeons iPad Review
- Super in-depth
- Still tailored for mobile play
- Cheeky sense of humour
- Sometimes a tiny bit fiddly
- Pretty tough
An accessible but massive roguelike that will suck you in and then murder you. But in a good way
- Full Review
- App Store Info
What happens when you take a classic, meaty PC roguelike, like for example Desktop Dungeons, and transport it to tablets?
According to Harry from Pocket Gamer, good things. Lots of good things.
Description***Cross platform saves! Play the same Kingdom on any device!***
Desktop Dungeons, the award-winning unique puzzle roguelike makes its debut on iOS! Fight your way through randomly generated dungeons, collect spells, items, and loot to defeat the dungeon boss and earn gold to upgrade your Kingdom. Unlock new classes to play as, useful items to discover, capricious gods to worship, and enemies to fight. All in service of the almighty bottom line and saving your Kingdom from peril.
Desktop Dungeons packs all the challenge and reward of a dungeon crawling roguelike game into bite sized chunks of puzzle goodness. Take an Elf Warlord through the Venture Cave, defeat Aequitas the Warlock and sell his beard to your Taxidermist to afford an upgrade to your Blacksmith. Or, spend time in the game's extensive puzzles trying to understand exactly what worshipping Taurog is all about.
-Randomly generated single-screen dungeons offer bite sized adventure.
-Explore new terrain to regenerate your health and mana, INNOVATION!
-20 Classes to play as and unlock, including the new Chemist and Rat Monarch!
-7 Races that combine uniquely with the Classes, each playing differently.
-Upgrade your Kingdom to unlock items and preparations to start your dungeon runs with.
-Loads of quests and puzzles to keep you entertained for hundreds of hours.
-Compete with your friends in the new Daily Dungeon.
-Music by the power duo of Danny Baranowsky (Super Meat Boy, Binding of Isaac) and Grant Kirkhope (Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye 64)
-The full Desktop Dungeons experience, optimized for touch screen.
"If you're looking for a roguelike with a cheeky swagger, and enough content to lose yourself in, then this should be at the top of your list." - PocketGamer (9/10)
"Desktop Dungeons is brilliant. It is so incredibly simple, and so incredibly basic, and yet it is brilliant." - GameZebo (4.5/5)
"Desktop Dungeons has made a pretty great effort to port their game to the iOS world, and it packs a lot of replay and problem solving into this app." - TouchArcade (4/5)
Desktop Dungeons won the award for Excellence in Design at the 2011 Independent Games Festival, where it was also a Grand Prize nominee.
What's New in Version 1.572Adding support for new content from other places to play Desktop Dungeons, fixing some bugs and paving the way for potential localization in the future. Happy New Year everyone!
* The Goat Glade no longer disappears in Kingdoms loaded from accounts that purchased the DLC on other platforms.
* Fixed bug that could cause stairs to lead to the incorrect realm in the Cursed Oasis.
* Fixed bug preventing Daily Dungeon Diligence rewards not being paid out on losses.
* Burning damage is no longer applied twice when knocking burning enemies into walls.
* Fixed bug with Daily Dungeon leaderboards losing popup text in certain situations.
* Revenants can no longer be moved underneath enemies petrified by the Gorgon.
* Half Dragons now kill magic damage immune plants if they knock them back twice, no more Tikki Tooki piety farming.