Dexter the Game Review
- Publisher: Marc Ecko Entertainment
- Genre: Role Playing
- Released: 13 Sep, 2009
- Size: 400.2 MB
- Price: $0.99
- Great voice acting by some of the original cast members.
- Terrific looking cut-scenes and visuals.
- A surprising amount of varied content for an iPhone game.
- Movement controls are a little finicky at times.
- The main game mode is a little short and features most, not all, of the stories from season one.
- Definitely not a game for younger players; contains strong adult content.
The amount of detail and varied gameplay in Dexter the Game is very impressive. And if you are a fan of the show, and can get over the moderate current price, then this is definitely worth a look at.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Dexter the Game is a spin-off title from the hit Showtime show ‘Dexter’. Players are put in the shoes of everyone’s favourite serial killer as you follow some of the stories and missions from season one. As Dexter, you investigate crime scenes, perform various forensic tests and of course, kill other serial killers all while masking your dark side from those around you. If you’ve seen the show, then you’ll be familiar with what to do.
Player movement and the camera are controlled by two joysticks on the screen. The rest of the controls vary for each action in the game. For example, digging requires you to alternate tapping on the screen, while blood splatter analysis requires you to swipe the screen to identify a matched pattern. While the controls can be a little finicky at times, they are still simple and easy to use.
The visuals are a real treat to look at. The 3D graphics and the fully rendered cut-scenes help immerse the player in the ‘Dexter universe’. The sound is also great, featuring almost all of musical tracks from the show as well as some great voice performances from the original cast. The game features one main single player story mode.
All in all, Dexter the Game seems like it belongs on a console system. The amount of detail, gameplay variety and overall depth seem far too big for the iPhone. However, it’s still a lot of fun and if you are a fan of the show, you’ll have a great time playing through some of your favourite missions and story lines.
Description"8.0/10 - Impressive"
- IGN, Levi Buchanan
"A welcome respite from the sea of puzzle games, line-drawing clones, and racers that currently populate the App Store... Fans of the show will have a great time with this game.. .Expert recreations of not just characters and locations, but also the general Dexter atmosphere... Smartly combines conversation, stealth, police work, and creep-out kills." - IGN
"Dexter the Game has high production values that incorporate a good variety of challenging tasks and mini-puzzles... If you're a Dexter fan, the game is a solid adventure game that admirably captures the spirit of the series." - TOUCH ARCADE
"Dexter's video game debut is a solid overall experience... Whether you're a fan of the show or not, Dexter: The Game offers a good variety coupled with an exciting story. The game achieves a level of maturity rarely seen in iPhone titles, and is worth taking a stab at." - JOYSTIQ
"Dexter the game does a great job in telling and guiding you to the whole Dexter theme. To this alone, the game succeeds and is definitely worth the purchase." - THE APPERA
"(Dexter the Game) delivers a much deeper experience than the vast majority of games on the platform. It packs five plus hours' worth of play time, tons of voice acting, and lots of high quality CG cutscenes. Any gamer who's a big fan of Dexter will find plenty of enjoyment here." SLIDE TO PLAY
Dexter the Game is the killer 3D iPod Touch / iPhone game based on the Showtime Original Series. Dexter Morgan is a serial killer. Driven by his need to kill, maintaining his average-guy façade has never been easy. He spends his days as a blood spatter analyst for the Miami police department, but it’s after hours when Dexter is able to fulfill the needs of his dark passenger, exacting his own brand of justice on those criminals who truly deserve to die.
In the game, help Dexter choose his next victims while always protecting his identity. Analyze crime scenes, uncover evidence and use stealth tactics to stalk your prey. Is the case best served by the courts or the Dark Passenger? The outcome of every choice and action revolves around the Code of Harry: only kill the guilty, maintain the mask, and above all, don’t get caught!
- Hours of gameplay with tense action in 3D environments as Dexter stalks his prey .
- Over 1100 lines of dialogue, including original voiceovers from Michael C. Hall.
- Includes an original storyline with writing by series producer Tim Schlattmann.
- Next-Gen 3D engine allows for multiple cameras: first person, 3rd person; pinch the screen to fully customize your view between First and 3rd person.
- Multiple control modes: tilt to move, Dual yokes, single yoke, multi-touch. Play Dexter the way you want!
- Advanced dynamic audio support, includes ducking and 3D sound.
- Exclusive Blood Spatter analysis game just like Dexter does it on the TV series.
- Context sensitive controls allowing you to perform complex actions with a tap of the screen. Scale fences, pick locks and decode passwords.
- Developed to take advantage of signature features such as the touch screen, accelerometer and recent iPhone 3.0 additions.