The Amazing Spider-Man Review
- Free exploration, open-world; lots of vigilante style justice to dish out between missions.
- Relatively complex combo system for combat; specialize in melee or ranged or grind and master both.
- Very few loading screens; mostly reserved for cut-scenes and new locations.
- Terrible render speeds; lots of texture popping and low frame rates.
- Sticky controls; jumping requires holding down, but so does webslinging, causing conflicts.
- Poor direction on voice acting; otherwise decent performances ruined by a lack of consistency in delivery.
The Amazing Spider-Man doesn't live up to Gameloft's previous efforts when it comes to the cocky webslinger, but those who begged for an open-world system finally have it (for what it's worth).
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Let us reflect for a moment and remember just how great the licensed Spider-Man games have been for the iOS - it's not hard, there has previously only been one, Spider-Man: Total Mayhem. Despite lacking free-roaming it made up for this with tightly controlled combat with multiple fighting 'combos' to master and a cheesy, but near pitch-perfect storyline for the webslinger to follow.
Following up on this effort is The Amazing Spider-Man, a movie tie-in that attempts to pair Gameloft's first attempt at bringing the quip-spouting hero to life with a free-exploration system. Don't expect a high-flying GTA though as the game engine struggles to keep pace with Spidey's speed and ultimately settles in to a mindless series of brawls that require little part on the player to overcome.
When standing still on the edge of a building or taking that first plunge down to the city streets, it's hard not to be stunned at the sharp visuals and fluid motion of Spider-Man's twists and spirals. However, once you start swinging, the facade quickly falls away, leaving players with muddy textures that pop in at the last moment and a frame-rate that becomes problematic when trying to pull off precise maneuvers.
The controls certainly play their role in making things harder than they should be as the web-slinging system kicks in automatically if you hold down the jump button. The problem is, you need to hold the jump button to jump at all, turning Peter Parker in to perhaps the most laughable hero ever when attempting to collect spider-tokens spread throughout the city to spend on boosts in the store (never-fear though, IAP can be used to top up your virtual cash too).
Completing missions and beating up baddies throughout the city will net you experience, leveling you up and presenting you with skill points to unlock various abilities such as extended combos, additional damage and so on. This does encourage players to explore and be the vigilante hero you're supposed to be, but at times it can also leave you feeling weak (but not entirely powerless) if you progress too fast.
The Amazing Spider-Man is a disappointing release, especially when the older Total Mayhem manages to provide more variation in gameplay and content, albeit lacking in free-exploration. Considering the premium entry price this leaves us worried about upcoming movie tie-ins from the developer.
DescriptionOptimized for the 4-inch Retina display on iPhone 5!
THE OFFICIAL GAME FROM THE 2012 MOVIE "THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN"
Get ready for intense web-slinging action with the Amazing Spider-Man! Join Spidey in the official game app of this highly anticipated 2012 blockbuster! Play through the movie storyline as Spider-Man faces off against the Lizard and rampaging gangs. Web-sling and crawl your way through an open, fully 3D New York while using your amazing skills to save the city.
THE OFFICIAL GAME OF 2012’s HIGHLY AWAITED SUPERHERO BLOCKBUSTER
• Fight the Lizard and his minions to put a stop to his dark schemes.
• Play the Amazing Spider-Man through more than 25 immersive missions inspired by the upcoming movie's storyline.
• Climb, jump and web-sling from building to building for an aerial thrill like never before!
FREE NEW YORK CITY
• Explore the city through its five distinctive districts (Central Park, Business, Downtown, Pier and Residential)
• An exciting and enjoyable fighting system with melee, ranged, combo attacks and much more
• A wide selection of upgrades to customize your style, attacks and skills
A HIGH PRODUCTION-VALUE GAME
• Explore an open-world Manhattan, teeming with action. Discover random missions, collectibles and more secrets in the City that Never Sleeps!
• Fight in a fully 3D New York City with cutting-edge graphics.
• Advanced shaders and visual effects make Spider-Man more realistic than ever before!
** Confirm that your device is compatible. The Amazing Spider-Man is only compatible with 4th generation iPod touch devices (16/32/64GB) along with iPhone 4, iPad 2, and the New iPad. Before downloading, please check the back of your device to make sure that it meets the system requirements**
Visit our official site at http://www.gameloft.com
Follow us on Twitter at http://glft.co/GameloftonTwitter or like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Gameloft to get more info about all our upcoming titles.
Check out our videos and game trailers on http://www.youtube.com/Gameloft
Discover our blog at http://glft.co/Gameloft_Official_Blog for the inside scoop on everything Gameloft.
Certain apps allow you to purchase virtual items within the app and may contain third party advertisements that may redirect you to a third party site.
What's New in Version 1.0.3With great updates comes great content
Unlock a new suit: The Human-Spider suit lets you become Peter as he discovers his amazing powers.
Use the Spider Pass to skip difficult missions and continue your journey to save New York City.
Test your acrobatic skills with the new Urban Acceleration challenge missions!
Shoot, display and share your screenshots: Peter Parker is not the only photographer anymore