Elven Chronicles Review
- Great old school presentation and style, slightly pixelated visuals work well here.
- The game’s controls are very simple and easy to pick up and play.
- No auto-save function, if you don’t save from the character menu and exit the application, you’re boned.
- The gameplay is boring; there’s a severe lack of quests and things to do besides the slow real time battles.
- The game isn’t a proper RPG as it gives players very few choices in regards to their character or the game.
Elven Chronicles is a game with few points of merit, and overall feels clichéd, controlling and quite boring. While old school RPG’s can be a real blast to play, this is not a worthwhile title.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Elven Chronicles follows the tale of a young knight and his magic wielding companion as they seek revenge on those who attacked his caravan and nearly killed him. It’s an old school, turn based RPG similar to old Super Nintendo Final Fantasy games. But unlike the original RPGs of that time, Elven Chronicles is a lot more restrictive.
Players control their character by tapping on the iPhone screen to move and when a battle event is triggered use attacks or actions. These battles, while being a pivotal part of the gameplay, just aren’t all that exciting. You’ll end up tapping the attack button constantly because most enemies will hardly give you a challenge. This is really disappointing as turn based combat doesn’t have to be mundane.
The game’s presentation is quite well done and while the visuals are a bit pixelated, they suit the old school game style to a T. The sound really doesn’t match the game however. It’s just not as magical or epic as you’d expect when fighting two giant minotaurs in an ominous dark cave.
Elven Chronicles is a decent game but can be barely classed as an RPG. The limits of your customisation are restricted to choosing which items to equip and there are no skill trees, stat upgrades and classes to choose and customise. Besides that however, the gameplay is very lacklustre and the clichéd ‘amnesia’ storyline doesn’t help excite players. While the game does do some things right, in the end, you might want to skip this one and try a different RPG.
DescriptionCritically acclaimed winner of the Pop Vox award for best mobile game is finally here.
If you are fan of old school RPG this is an outstanding game. The turn based gameplay is top notch and truly is the best RPG in the App Store Appadvice
...I found the gameplay to be smooth and easy to figure out. The graphics are good and the replay value was excellent. Appchatter
It gives some good nostalgia to those RPG fans looking for old school experience and I highly recommend it to those people. Mobiletechreview
Zelda meets Final Fantasy in this massive RPG Mobilegamefaqs
All in all a good game, with a lot to offer especially if you want to dedicate it a lot of time Mobilegamereview
Step into the shoes of a young knight who was unjustly exiled from his kingdom and is seeking redemption. Accompanied by a charismatic spellcaster, travel the world exploring vast new worlds inhabited by mystical creatures. Set out on a heroic adventure to uncover terrifying secrets and vanquish the evil forces plaguing the land!
Classic Console RPG design
Massive World Maps
Countless Spells, Weapons, Armour and Accessories
Random Dungeon Maps
Stunning Characters and Scenery
Over 20 hours of Gameplay
What is in new update (1.1):
better collision detection when talking to people
option to play iTunes music
more balanced difficulty
re-designed menu system
What's New in Version 1.1- Implemented an autosave feature. Game will automatically save when entering a new map area.
- A flashing save notification appears in the top left of the screen during autosave.
- Added a button to the character portraits in the info menu as a hint that clicking the portrait will open the equip/spell menus for that character
- Fixed the problem where it was difficult to activate a NPC dialog sometimes
- Added the iPod MediaPicker so a player can play their own music
- Added an options menu for toggling autosave and for playing game sound/ipod sound