Wild Blood Review
- Interesting spin on the Arthurian mythos; worth playing just to see the story's conclusion.
- Solid, simple controls; virtual stick and buttons respond perfectly, with 'invulnerability' animation frames giving players some leeway.
- Plenty of customization options; specialize as you please.
- No option to speed-up camera controls; sluggish response, especially on the iPad, and lacking smart positioning.
- Multiplayer provides a nice distraction, but is otherwise shallow.
- Rote execution of the genre; puzzle-chests attempt to break things up, but end up slowing you down more often than not.
The iOS platform has been aching for a solid beat'em-up and Wild Blood fills the niche perfectly, if with something that feels a bit flat in its execution; at least it's a nice change to beat up on demons instead of zombies or 'gods'.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
It may have taken some time for it to finally happen, but Gameloft have finally busted out their first Unreal Engine powered title for the App Store. For many people, such a thing is a minor concern, because - and let’s be honest - Gameloft titles have been far from ugly thus far. Wild Blood rides in on the heels of previous releases like Hero of Sparta, however instead of beating up Gods you’ll crack the skulls of various demons in this Arthurian-legend based beat’em-up.
irst and foremost, Wild Blood feels solid - nothing really feels out of place as you gracefully jump from enemy to enemy, deploy powerful spell attacks and soak up the coins while gathering your bearings and moving on. It’s a rote execution of the genre, but one that’s only hampered slightly by the sluggish camera that has a tendency to point in the wrong direction whenever possible.
Much like other genre classics you’ll find yourself picking up a handful of weapons, each with their own spin on the fire, ice and lightning spells you can deploy. Of particular note is the bow that requires a bit of aiming on the part of the player as it’s not quite a fire-and-forget weapon and feels almost like a pocket sniper-rifle if you happen to level it up.
In fact, leveling up is where you’ll be deploying most of your hard-earned gold, with each weapon having individual stats and spells to level up. Do you think the claymore is too slow? Start specializing in the twin-axes and you’ll chop down enemies just as fast, spinning and charging as you please.
If you happen to get sick of chopping down huge demonic creatures and their hordes you can take the fight online and pair up with other players in a team-deathmatch mode. Teamwork is essential as you fight to control temporary bonuses to out-scale the enemy - it’s not high strategy, but it’s fun to fight something other than a mindless AI drone.
Unfortunately you’ll be doing a lot of that in the singleplayer, and even the wonderfully varied worlds and enemies can’t stem that feeling of having done all this before - enter area, destroy all enemies, move on. The addition of puzzle-chests is a nice idea, but instead of building on the experience, it brings the otherwise frantic pace to a crawl. Thankfully your second time through the game (if you choose to play the harder mode) will be more streamlined as a result.
Repetition aside, Wild Blood still manages to keep you hooked with its brutal action gameplay. It’s great to see something so fresh from Gameloft and those itching for some beat’em-up gameplay now have a genuine must-have to check out.
DescriptionOptimized for the 4-inch Retina display on iPhone 5.
Gameloft has harnessed the power of the revolutionary Unreal Engine to bring unimaginable battles in real-time, full-3D graphics.
Live the unforgettable journey of Sir Lancelot as you never have before!
King Arthur has gone mad, fueled by his jealousy toward Lancelot for romancing his wife, Queen Guinevere. In his desperation, Arthur has been tricked by his sister, the all-powerful sorceress Morgana Le Fey, to open the Hellgate and allow all forms of demons to enter the world. Meanwhile, Morgana has captured Guinevere and holds her hostage on the magical island of Avalon.
Now Lancelot needs to confront King Arthur and the evil Morgana in order to free the world from these evil creatures and save Guinevere.
The time for Sir Lancelot to face his destiny is now!
GET READY FOR A VISUAL REVOLUTION
- Amazing real-time, full-3D graphics with special effects powered by Unreal Technology.
- Epic fights full of impressive enemies and stunning special powers.
LANCELOT’S STORY REIMAGINED
- Become the legendary and brutal Sir Lancelot. Fight off the legions of Hell and challenge the mighty King Arthur, who has been enchanted by Morgana.
- Travel across 10 breathtaking levels on your journey to Avalon with the help of Sir Gawain of the Knights of the Round Table.
DISCOVER A VAST WORLD FULL OF DIVERSE CHALLENGES
- Face 20 different enemies including epic bosses.
- Wield a wide range of weapons from axes and long bows, to your powerful great sword.
- Enjoy intense, spectacular and gory combat with both melee and ranged battles.
- Explore fascinating environments and solve puzzles to reach hidden locations.
ENJOY AN EPIC MULTIPLAYER MODE
- Have fun with up to 8 friends in the impressive Team Deathmatch (4 vs. 4) and Capture the Flag modes.
- Connect with your Gameloft LIVE! friends and compare your scores on the leaderboard.
- Local (Wi-Fi) & online modes available.
Visit our official site at http://www.gameloft.com
Follow us on Twitter at http://glft.co/GameloftonTwitter or like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Gameloft to get more info about all our upcoming titles.
Check out our videos and game trailers on http://www.youtube.com/Gameloft
Discover our blog at http://glft.co/Gameloft_Official_Blog for the inside scoop on everything Gameloft.
This app allows you to purchase virtual items within the app and may contain third party advertisements that may redirect you to a third party site.
End User License Agreement : http://www.gameloft.com/eula/