Bad Piggies Review
- Insanely clever free-form vehicle creation; while limited in some levels, your imagination can run wild in others.
- Cheerfully colorful world keeps you in a great mood; each failure isn't depressing so much as it is a chance to watch the manic mayhem.
- Plenty of content to pick at; each chapter focuses on new engineering disciplines, staving off boredom.
- Separate executables for iPhone/iPod and iPad; progress isn't saved between devices via iCloud.
- No real way to show-off creations to friends; missed social networking opportunity.
Bad Piggies doesn't just feel like the next logical step forward for a developer like Rovio, but the next step forward for the physics-puzzler genre itself as players engineer their own solutions and use them to succeed, no matter how whacky they may seem.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
You'd be forgiven for thinking Rovio spent too long resting on their laurels after Angry Birds, opting to drive the franchise instead of seeking new horizons. Thankfully Amazing Alex found its way out of the studio (albeit as a re-branding of an existing game) and it was clear the studio was ready to try something new. Note, not 'different' - one can't claim that Bad Piggies breaks away from the physics-puzzle-and-three-star formula we've come to know so well, but it's most definitely a different beast to the trial-and-error bird-flinger we've all come to know by now.
This time around you take on the role of the somewhat slow-witted Piggies as they attempt to steal yet more eggs - unfortunately their plans are scuttled due to an unfortunate accident and you'll need to collect the pieces for them one by one.
Cue a creative twist on the physics-puzzler concept that allows players to construct vehicles on a grid from a limited set of pieces. After making your tenuously held-together contraption and placing your piggie inside, you're left to the whims of gravity, with only your wits to control the various interactive pieces on the vehicle in order to navigate it to safety.
Control (technically) comes in three forms - manual, automatic, and fine-tuned manual. The first allows you to set off groups of similar pieces all at the same time - handy if you're trying to coordinate all the bottle-rockets attached to your speedster; the second controls individual pieces via motors, moving them faster than they otherwise would; and the last allows you to tap the individual pieces on the vehicle, pulling off complex maneuvers such as creating a long-slow ignition of rockets instead of one giant burst.
This level of finesse isn't to be understated as you'll need to master them to collect the inevitable slew of bonus items or to earn that last elusive star on each level. Only one star is awarded for completing the level, while the other two require you to pass minimum requirements such as finishing the stage in a time limit or not using particular items.
There's a lot of content too with the first chapter being dedicated to ground-based vehicles and the second focusing on flight. Earn enough stars and you'll unlock bonus stages that allow for far more free-form engineering in your solutions - something that's further explored in the third 'sandbox' chapter where you'll need to make multiple vehicles on the same stage to collect all the available stars.
Despite feeling 'safe' for sticking with the Angry Birds franchise, Bad Piggies is its own unique beast and one that proves to be horrifically entertaining thanks to its free-wheeling style of build'em-up puzzle gameplay. Of course it's going to appeal more to those who enjoyed tinkering around with things like LEGO and Mechano, but there's enough here for everyone of all ages to enjoy.
DescriptionFrom the creators of Angry Birds: a game from the PIGS’ point of view! OiNk! Build makeshift contraptions from a huge collection of parts and make it to the goal without blowing your vehicle to pieces!
IGN's "Best Mobile Game of 2012" Winner!
"Extremely fun and very challenging" -- Kotaku
“The best title Rovio has released yet” - IGN
“4/4 - Must Have” -- Slide to Play
"Bad Piggies is awesome, and needs to be a part of your iOS game collection just as much as the rest of the Angry Birds series" - Touch Arcade
"If you can’t enjoy watching a pig drive a badly constructed car off a cliff and onto a pile of dynamite, you probably don’t have a soul." - Yahoo/BGR
Create the ultimate flying/crawling/rolling/spinning/crashing device and pilot the pigs safely to the eggs!
The Bad Piggies are after the eggs again -- but as usual, nothing is going according to plan! Can you create the ultimate flying machine and steer them safely to their destination? Those tricky pigs have a few objects they can use, but they need your help to turn these into the perfect transportation!
With more than 200 levels, and free updates coming up, you have hours and hours of pig-crashing, exploding, and flying fun! Get three stars to unlock over 40 more levels! HINT: Sometimes you need to play the level several times to achieve all the objectives -- try building a new device or steering in a different way to earn all the stars!
● Over 200 levels crammed with flying/driving/crashing fun!
● 40+ special levels unlocked by getting three stars!
● Free updates!
● 9+ sandbox levels to stretch your creativity!
● Ultra-special, ultra-secret, ultra-difficult sandbox level to unlock by collecting ten skulls! Oh – guess it’s not a secret anymore...
● 42 objects to create the ultimate machine: motors, wings, fans, bottle rockets, umbrellas, balloons, and much more!
● Need help? This little piggy will build it for you!
● Mechanic pig pre-assembles transport for you!
● All you have to do is pilot it!
● Tweak his design to get all three stars!
New Episode: The Road to El Porkado
Embark on an archaeological adventure in an all new episode full of treacherously icy environments and spooky dark caves. Be sure to equip the trusty lamp to find your way in the darkness – or put the new Night Vision Goggles power-up to use!
Get ready to see pigs fly!
Become a fan of Bad Piggies on Facebook:
Follow us on Twitter:
Important Message for Parents
This game may include:
- Direct links to social networking websites that are intended for an audience over the age of 13.
- Direct links to the internet that can take players away from the game with the potential to browse any web page.
- Advertising of Rovio products and also products from select partners.
- The option to make in-app purchases. The bill payer should always be consulted beforehand.
What's New in Version 2.2.0– Introducing Cake Race! Grab the cakes before your opponent and win great prizes!
– More crazy crates! Can you get the Marble Crate?
– 15 new custom parts!