Bastion iPad Review
- Retooled controls; smart-tap auto-attack system - original controls still available.
- Picturesque isometric level design; like a story-book unfolding before you.
- Multiple save slots for those who like to experiment.
- The visceral nature of the combat is deminished by the default controls; limited to what the AI locks on to.
The breathtaking action title Bastion is born again on the App Store, complete with all new controls that suit the large touchscreen almost perfectly; if you haven't played it yet, don't hesitate to grab it now.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Having already found a home on the XBLA and PC, Supergiant Game's stunning title Bastion has leapt (from almost nowhere) on to the App Store and in particular on to the iPad. It's a welcome surprise as it doesn't simply demand players to stick with the control system of the first two releases (though it is still available), opting instead for an intuitive semi-auto fire tap and drag system instead. The only question that remains is, does it still feel like Bastion?
For those unfamiliar with the title, you play the role of 'The Kid', a capable warrior adept in the use of weapons ranging from hulking two-handed hammers to mines, grenades, samurai swords, and akimbo-pistols. It's an eclectic range, but you'll appreciate the variety as you encounter the mysterious floating-world's vicious inhabitants. Whether you're fighting a gloop spewing Scumbag, a fire-spewing Pyth bull, or the always frustratingly armored Lunkheads, you'll be able to dodge, hit, shoot and maybe even fire off a special attack or two to keep ahead of the curve.
While you could play the game using a virtualized version of the original controls (stick-based movement with an arrangement of buttons to dodge, shoot, and so on), the iPad version boasts its own smart-control system. Tap or double tap and you'll respectively walk or dodge in that direction. Hold down and drag and The Kid will chase after your finger. In either case you'll start attacking hostiles automatically as soon as they're in range. This may sound cheap, but as it is you still need to avoid attacks while positioning yourself up for counter-strikes and power-shots, balancing things out.
Traveling through the world of Bastion is a unique experience all on its own as it forms itself from broken fragments as you move about. As you do so your actions are narrated by the friendly elder 'Rucks', giving the game an almost story-book like feel as new areas are constructed before your very eyes.
This actually becomes a core aspect of the game as you attempt to recreate the world by collecting crystals, granting access to stores that invite experimentation by changing The Kid's weapon load-out; modifying passive boosts; reforging weapons for new effects; and even remembering the fallen victims of the calamity that surrounds you.
Bastion for the iPad is a wonderful adaption of an outstanding action title and one that feels at home on the App Store thanks to its control modifications. Purists may balk at the reduction of challenge, but Bastion's beauty is not in the difficulty, but in unfolding its delicate story, one skway at a time.
Description*IMPORTANT* Bastion requires an iPad 2 or newer, iPhone 4S or newer, or iPod touch (5th gen).
App Store BEST of 2012 Pick!
Reimagined for iOS, this award-winning action RPG experience redefines storytelling in games with a reactive narrator who marks your every move!
* * *
Bastion earned Editors' Choice on the App Store but that's not all! Here's what critics have to say:
"...simply astounding. This is an action RPG that deserves a spot on every gamer's iPad."
- SlideToPlay.com (4 out of 4 ""Must Have"")
"Bastion for iPad is just as good if not better than its console brethren."
- TouchArcade (5 stars out of 5)
"...a wonderful adaption of an outstanding action title... feels at home on the App Store."
- AppSpy.com (5 out of 5)
"It’s a beautiful, clever, absolutely one-of-a-kind experience."
- 148Apps.com (5 stars out of 5)
"Bastion is a textbook example of how to make an iPad port."
- IGN.com (9 out of 10)
* * *
The original version of Bastion earned more than 100 industry accolades, including:
- BEST DOWNLOADABLE GAME and BEST DEBUT, Game Developers Choice Awards
- DOWNLOADABLE TITLE of the YEAR, Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences
- BEST VIDEOGAME of the YEAR, Paste Magazine
- BEST DOWNLOADABLE GAME and BEST ORIGINAL SCORE, SpikeTV
- BEST DOWNLOADABLE GAME and BEST INDIE GAME, Inside Gaming Awards
* * *
Bastion for iOS features all the highly acclaimed artwork, music, and narration that Bastion is known for, along with intuitive touch controls. Explore more than 40 lush hand-painted environments as you discover the secrets of the Calamity, a surreal catastrophe that shattered the world to pieces. Wield a huge arsenal of upgradeable weapons and battle savage beasts adapted to their new habitat. Finish the main story to unlock New Game Plus mode and continue your journey!
- Stunning hand-painted artwork
- Critically-acclaimed original music score
- Hours of reactive narration deliver a deep story
- Intuitive touch controls created exclusively for iOS
- Universal App runs on iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch
- Variable difficulty for players of all skill levels
- Action-packed combat rewards playing with finesse
- 10+ unique upgradeable weapons to be used
- 6 powerful Bastion structures to be discovered
- 'New Game Plus' mode unlocked after finishing the story
- Game Center achievements and leaderboards
- Sync saved data seamlessly via iCloud
Bastion is the first title from Supergiant Games. We're a small developer with big ambitions: to make games that spark your imagination like the games you played as a kid. Follow @SupergiantGames on Twitter or visit us at www.supergiantgames.com.
* * *
- Voice-over narration: English
- Text and subtitles: English, German, French, Spanish, Italian (based on region setting)
What's New in Version 1.4- Fix for localization on iOS 9
- Minor optimizations