Alone at War Review
- Easy to use control scheme.
- Global leaderboard access and Facebook score posting options.
- Gameplay can be very repetitive and become stale.
- The game features some bad headshot detection.
- Enemies aren’t steady or regular; you’ll frequently be swarmed by a large group and can’t do anything to stop them.
While Gameloft usually releases some solid game clones, Alone at War is not one of them. You may want to save your money and try a different bow defence game.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Alone at War is the latest in game clone released by Gameloft; this type copying Champion Archer and other bow defence genre games currently available. The game puts players in control of a lone archer as he must fight off invading enemies. Players will have to use their trusty bow, along with magic arrow power-ups, to defeat them and stay alive for as long as possible.
The controls are simple and aiming is easy; players tap and hold the screen to charge up a shot, slide their finger up and down to adjust the angle and finally release to shoot. While you can score instant kills via headshot, these will only register a small percentage of the time; which will frustrate you immensely.
The visuals take on a basic hand drawn graph paper approach and seems out of place for the usually high quality games from Gameloft. The game contains decent sound effects and music but players are unable to use their iPod during gameplay; another unusual choice for a Gameloft release. The game features one main game mode with access to leaderboards and Facebook score posting.
Alone at War is a somewhat confusing and frustrating title. The game itself is something that is so out of character of Gameloft and stands out as the one lower quality title in its range. That being said, the game plays well and seems solid but there are a number of hindering issues, such as the swarming enemies and poor headshot detection that leaves the game as a play once or twice title and not much else.
DescriptionWho said one man can’t win a war?
Alone against all, you must defeat the vicious enemies attacking your kingdom with only your bow. Adjust the force and the direction of your arrows to inflict maximum damage. Battles are won a day at a time, and enemies will attack until the sun sets. As your hit count rises, you can obtain enhanced arrows and even spells to cast on your foes.
* Tap the screen, then hold and release your finger to take a shot. The longer you hold, the stronger the force of your arrows
* Spend points to increase your abilities at the end of the day (strength, accuracy, life, and mana)
* Upgrade your quiver with enhanced weapons, including poisonous and freezing arrows
* Learn magic spells to cast on enemies in the battlefield
* Shoot elements in the background to get weapons and first aid
* Fun squared paper designs which change every day
* A game with infinite lifespan
* Show all your friends that you are the Ultimate Warrior through the Facebook Connect feature!
Certain apps allow you to purchase virtual items within the app and may contain third party advertisements that may redirect you to a third party site.
What's New in Version 1.0.1WHAT IS NEW IN THIS UPDATE?
-Brand new magic:
- Earthquakes: Shake your device or tap the icon to cause a devastating earthquake
- Lightning: Unleash a single lightning strike by sliding your finger from top to bottom on the screen or tap the screen to summon chain lightning
- Firedragon: Slide your finger from the left of the screen to the middle or tap the icon to unleash a firedragon
-2 new enemy units
- Flying balloons
-Facebook Connect feature has been improved
-Overall, the difficulty of the game has been toned down a little to make it an even more enjoyable experience