Radio Flare REDUX Review
- A wonderful melding of visuals and audio.
- Lots to unlock and play with.
- Controls can be a little iffy.
- Music won't appeal to everyone's tastes.
A wonderful melding of shoot em up and rhythm gameplay. There's nothing else like it on the iphone.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
The rhythm action genre is a rare one. Aside from Rez not many games have done it well. Radio Flare Redux (RFR) is here to change all that with some good ol fashioned shoot'em up action. Piloting your ship and making waste of all in your path is standard for a shmup but doing it all to the beat of some high quality music makes this quite the experience.
RFR uses a duel finger control scheme. Your left thumb controls your ship, while your right locks onto enemies. You can lock onto multiple enemies in a row, releasing your finger to send your weapons out to destory them. The more linked together, the higher your multiplyer and score. Each of the over thirty levels has a star ranking system, and doing well will unlock new missions, planets, and other goodies.
The visuals are amazing, with each level being unique in its use of colour, and graphics. This ties into the unique music track for each planet. Some are better than others, but that comes down to musical preference and if you like what the game has thrown at you. Not only are missions unlockable but a musical sequencer and a visualizer mode as well.
RFR represents the action rhythm genre exceptionally. This game may not have widespread appeal, but it's worth a try just for the experience itself.
DescriptionON SALE FOR THANKSGIVING!!! Redefining both the shoot-‘em-up and the rhythm action genre, Radio Flare REDUX is a side-scrolling, multi-touch shoot-‘em-up thrill-ride, featuring retina-popping visuals and tub-thumping club anthems.
Radio Flare REDUX is a highly stylized side-scrolling shoot-’em-up that makes exceptional use of your iPod touch or iPhone’s multi-touch capabilities, not to mention its headphone socket.
Pilot your ship to the beat of the universe and blast a galaxy of invaders out of the sky. Weave through an intense sensory onslaught as you dispatch swarm after swarm of enemies, tapping the touchscreen, and your toes, as you go.
Radio Flare REDUX is the hotly anticipated successor to the hit debut from studio radiolaris, Radio Flare, which was a finalist in the 2009 IGF Mobile and IndieCade competitions.
Control your ship with one hand, while targeting multiple enemies with the other to unleash a sonic splash of destructive power. Battle through over 30 frenzied levels packed with power-ups, multipliers, combos, dozens of different enemies and distinct club-style visuals.
Every aspect of Radio Flare REDUX is hardwired to the pulse pounding soundtrack of licensed techno, club and house music from an A-list roster of internationally renowned DJs and dance artists. The playlist including Kevin Gorman, Revolution Void, Motor, Binaerpilot and DJ Glow (from the original Radio Flare game), and techno labels International Deejay, Gigolo Records, Mikrowave.co.uk, Buddemusic, Underline and more.
• Musical gameplay experience: Play to the beat as your ship moves and shoots in rhythm. Target enemies and see them pulsate and explode to the beat of each song.
• Levels: 33 diverse planet levels based on licensed techno, club and house tracks by internationally renowned DJs.
• Visuals: Club-style visuals and fast-paced fights combine to create a synesthetic cosmic adventure for your senses.
• Controls: Play with either multi-touch or virtual joystick options to pilot your ship as it pulsates through space, dodging opponents and intensifying the music.
• Unlockable rewards: Gain stars to unlock new planets and take on missions that challenge your rhythmic combat. Unlock a Musical Toy sequencer that lets you arrange sound effects in rhythm and a Visualizer mode so you can cruise through a level without enemies to enjoy the stimulating graphics and music.
• Crystal online leaderboards and mission-based achievements: Explore space with friends and compare your scores and results with Crystal’s dynamic social gaming network.
• Tweet your screenshots: Use the screen capture feature to upload your gameplay screenshots and brag about your achievements on Twitter.
“Radio Flare REDUX looks to be even more visually appealing this time around, with even more on-screen action, multiplliers and lots of bright, flashing colors that move along to your pace in the game.” – 1UP http://tiny.cc/RFR_1UP
“Radio Flare REDUX: Prepare For A Meaner And Better Music SHMUP.” – TheAppera http://tiny.cc/RFR_AppEra
Radio Flare REDUX: http://radiolaris.com/redux/
studio radiolaris: http://radiolaris.com/studio/