Death Rally Review
- Publisher: Remedy Entertainment Ltd.
- Genre: Racing
- Released: 31 Mar, 2011
- Size: 110.2 MB
- Price: FREE!
- Slick graphics; detailed levels, effects and Retina/iPad 2 support.
- Relatively easy to pick up controls; simple and effective for creating chaos.
- Lots of unique 'boss' characters including a few familiar faces.
- Lacks replay value once you're maxed out.
- No alternative controls or left-hand options.
Death Rally isn't necessarily top-down mayhem racing at its best, but working your way to the next vehicle, weapon and upgrade along while blowing up opponents has an appeal all of its own.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
While gamers are likely to recognize and associate Remedy Entertainment with titles like Max Payne and Alan Wake, those who were lucky enough to be a PC gamer in the 90's might remember the original Death Rally and its top-down Death Race 2000 inspired mayhem. While not as fully featured as some racers, the arcade-style classic has been reborn on the App Store and players can get back to what's truly important in a race - blowing people up.
However, before you can start causing some real chaos you'll need to go through the process of unlocking, and upgrading new cars and weapons by earning cash through races. Earning cash places less emphasis on winning (although you do get a healthy bonus for doing so) and more on a host of varied objectives such as fast laps; how many people you've eliminated; and whether or not you've defeated the 'boss' for the level. Much like the original game there are several unique characters for each vehicle and in a neat touch you can race against Duke Nukem - a nod to the original game's connection to Apogee.
In what seems like an odd decision, the controls are limited to a virtual stick system that requires no braking or acceleration as your car turns in the direction you move your thumb. While this does make aiming your weapons a lot easier, it will take some time to mentally adjust to steering efficiently.
Visually the game is superb and while there are only a handful of levels the game attempts to mix things up with varied perspectives and mirrored/reversed directions to bulk up the handful of unique tracks. This does limit the appeal of constantly racing to grind out cash, but players are given a choice of six levels that change after each race along with unique challenge levels with gameplay twists such as limiting the weaponry and forcing players to use a specific car.
The real driving force behind Death Rally comes from watching bars fill up after each match and constantly picking up pieces of scrap that go towards new cars and weapons - it's shallow, but strangely appealing despite the repetitive gameplay. If you loved games like Rock n' Roll Racing and Carmageddon you'll get a kick out of this racer as well.
DescriptionTHE FINAL BATTLE
Death Rally is an action packed COMBAT RACER with GLOBAL MULTIPLAYER, STUNNING VISUALS and more than 10 HOURS of CARS, GUNS and EXPLOSIVE FUN. NUMBER ONE in 84 countries with more than 14 million gamers worldwide!
Race against incredible boss drivers like DUKE NUKEM. Upgrade and level up you cars and guns in a thrilling single player career mode or global multiplayer! Lock and load and enter the Death Rally, humiliate and destroy your opponents or sabotage the race. You choose how you win, NO TRICK IS TOO DIRTY!
Brought to you by REMEDY, renowned developer of MAX PAYNE and ALAN WAKE! LOAD YOUR GUNS, START YOUR ENGINES... IT WILL BLOW YOU AWAY, LITERALLY! This is no Sunday Drive. This is DEATH RALLY.
* Selected for Apple's iOS Hall of Fame
* Mashable: #1 racing game on iOS
* Winner of Pocket Gamer Award
* IGN: "Death Rally hits the target."
* Toucharcade 5/5
* Massive single player career mode, unlock and upgrade cars, weapons and challenges
* Enormous online multiplayer campaign ROAD WARS! Friends play, battle modifiers, unique paint jobs, and a whole lot more!
* Awesome controls with 2 camera angle options
* Featuring guest drivers – DUKE NUKEM, BARRY WHEELER, JOHN GORE
* Leaderboards and achievements via Game Center
* Runs silky smooth 60fps even on the high resolution Retina display devices
= = = IMPORTANT = = =
* Multiplayer requires Game Center account and iOS 4.2.1 or newer!
* Includes voluntary in-app purchases for faster progress to later and more challenging stages of your racing career.
Compatible Devices: Death Rally is ONLY compatible with iPod touch 3rd generation (32GB and 64GB models only!), iPod touch 4th and 5th generation, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, 4S and iPhone 5, iPad 1, 2 and 3.
(iPod touch 3rd generation 8GB model is not a real 3rd generation device, and Death Rally is NOT compatible with it.)
Follow us on www.facebook.com/deathrally for updates!
Death Rally is an original Remedy Entertainment IP, developed in partnership with Mountain Sheep and Cornfox & Bros.
What's New in Version 3.0.1New in v3.0.1:
* Multiplayer fix
New in v3.0:
* Optimized for iPhone5
* An all new Race Track: Savo
* The final comic after beating the Adversary
* Awesome new Garage graphics
* Watch sponsored videos for free parts