- Great game options, single vs. AI or pass and play multiplayer.
- Current games are auto-saved and can be continued after you exit the application.
- The game has a moderate learning curve, and new players may find themselves confused early on.
- The gameplay can be a bit slower than other strategy games available.
- No war options like in Civilization; this is conquering land gameplay only.
If you’re a fan of Settlers of Catan or Civilization, then Catan would be right up your alley and worth a look at.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Catan is a turn based development strategy game for the iPhone similar to the Civilization series. The player’s goal is to set up and establish buildings, roads and collect resources on a small island. By building new structures and creating roads, you’ll earn development points, and the first player to 10 points wins the game.
Players place two houses and roads at the start of each match to start your empire. You’ll begin earning resources immediately to use based on the land grids surrounding these houses. And you’ll have to try and expand faster than the other civilizations in order to win. At first the game can be daunting but the tutorial mode will help you get you started and used to the game’s format.
The game’s visuals aren’t the prettiest but everything can be clearly seen. The soundtrack is well done and changes according to different in game events. Players are given two different options when playing the game, they can either verse the computer or can set up a pass and play multiplayer mode.
If you’ve played a Catan style game before, then all your favourite settlement style gameplay is here and with a simple, balanced interface. The only minor issue is that each game requires a minimum of four players, so this won’t be a quick play title. But the game offers a continue mode so you can pick up where you left off. So if you’re a fan of the Settlers of Catan board game or other civilization expanding games then this is a great title to keep an eye out for.
Description"Catan", the legendary strategy game provides gaming fun anytime, anywhere.
True to the original game, you can compete with up to four players for the most settlements, the longest roads and the largest army. You can trade with each other and claim the precious land with all its resources.
Update 4.0 of the game allows you to challenge other Catan fans online via cross-platform multiplayer to prove your strategy skills.
But also various computer opponents, each with their own individual characteristics, will prove themselves worthy competitors: the pirate Jean, who knows no compromise, Vincent the merchant, who never allows himself to be cheated, Sean the knight, who takes what is rightfully his...
The popular Catan expansions "Seafarers" and "Cities and Knights" are available as In-App purchases.
The complete Seafarers expansion includes more than 10 additional scenarios with an extensive campaign. Become Harbormaster, discover new islands and extra game elements like ships, gold fields, treasures and pirates. Ahoy!
The Cities and Knights expansion introduces various new gameplay mechanics that add even more variety to Catan. Invest new trade goods in city improvements to build one of the three metropolises of Catan – but beware of the barbarians attracted by Catan’s new wealth! You’ll need your best knights to fend them off! C&K contains a short campaign and 7 challenging maps.
- Available languages: English, German, French, Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese
- Original "Settlers of Catan" rule set
- Update 4.0+: Synchronous online multiplayer games
- Smart computer opponents with individual strategies
- Scrollable game board including zoom option
- Freely combinable game settings
- Game statistics
- Comprehensive tutorial
- Seafarers LITE: New scenario "The 4 Islands" and two additional game variants
- Cities and Knights LITE: Test the new expansion in the scenario “The first Island”
- 3 different graphic sets to choose from
Question: An expansion seems gone after an update or reinstallation of Catan or after restoring the device?
Answer: Don’t worry! Your initial purchase is already saved in your iTunes account. You can restore your InApp purchases by selecting the restore-option in the Catan IAP menu.
Question: I lost my campaign progress after reinstalling, updating or restoring my device. Is there any way to restore it?
Answer: When saved games can’t be automatically restored, we’ve integrated a cheat code: In the campaign mode go to select player and enter „CatanWarp*“ (* = 1–15) as your player name and confirm. Exit the game via the home button and restart it. The campaign can now be continued from the specified level number (1–15). Levels up to the specified number will be unlocked in the custom game mode as well.
Question: Are dice rolls really random?
Answer: Of course! All dice rolls are 100% random and not modified in any way. We’re avid Catan players ourselves. We’ve played the iOS version hundreds of times while developing the program. There have been times when we won and lost a few games in a row because of the dice - just like when playing the board game!
Questions or suggestions for improvements:
Mail to email@example.com
We are looking forward to your feedback!
Please do not ask your questions in the reviews as we do not have the possibility to respond to you there.
For more information on news and updates: www.usmgames.com
or visit us on www.facebook.com/UnitedSoftMedia and twitter.com/USM_News
What's New in Version 126.96.36.199.1
- Fixed an issue that could cause a part of the upper screen to appear cut-off when playing the iPhone version on iPads
- Updated IAP menu and optimized restore function
- Fixed an issue when reaching the required VPs in another player’s turn
- Fixed end game display when winning by playing a knight
- Cities will no longer provide trade goods in the turn they were destroyed
- Game will now switch from the retro to other tile-sets in C&K scenarios
- Fixed a knight-bug that could cause wrong calculation of the longest road and resource distribution
- Updated keyboard support
- Various smaller tweaks and optimizations