Wonderputt iPad Review
- Utterly gorgeous presentation; clean, crisp, vibrant - it's one part reference diagram, one part children's novel, and all of it is fun.
- Unlockable Wonder mode provides some amount of lasting challenge.
- Controls unsuited to the tiny isometric levels; very easy to mess up the alignment of a shot, especially when aiming in a South-East direction.
Short, sweet and fun - Wonderputt feels like a fantasy trip to your favorite mini-golf course, complete with aliens and a few impossible structures to conquer.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
What do you get when you combine a funky, vibrant isometric stage with toads, submarines, volcanoes, and Stonehenge? The answer, cryptically, is the world of Wonderputt by Damp Gnat. It's in this world that you'll attempt to slingshot a ball in to a hole, hopefully picking up points along the way, but more importantly hopefully to have fun.
Playing the game couldn't be easier as you hold down on the ball and drag away from it, slingshot-style, letting go once you're happy with your aim and power. It's not perfect, especially given the rather tiny areas that are sectioned off to putt on, but the game is ready to hold out a helping hand as most areas provide a spot that can stop the ball (or move it to a new section of the screen).
Much like your favorite mini-golf course, Wonderputt is full of delightful gadgets and hazards to navigate around, with some requiring a bit of puzzle solving, good timing and in one case, just enough power to skim across the surface of a lake. Every time you sink the ball you're rewarded with an animated sequence setting up the new hole, occasionally revealing new areas of the same screen as you go.
Wonderputt is a small offering - one that's easily played through in a single sitting - though completing the game once will unlock the Wonder mode where you'll attempt to complete the rainbow for bonus points. This provides some replay value, but it's worth grabbing Wonderputt even if you only complete it once for the novel artwork and gameplay.
DescriptionPLEASE NOTE: iPad 2 and newer ONLY!
★★★Visual Arts Finalist at the Develop Awards 2012 and IGF 2012★★★
Adventure golf… but with cows, toads, ski slopes, torpedos and a sprinkle of alien abduction for good measure.
Features Game Centre leaderboards, achievements and a triple length soundtrack. Also enhanced for retina display.
Play the full 18 holes and unravel Wonderputt's world of geographic delight. Unlock Wonder to enable rainbow collectables.
● "That's some seriously wonderful art there, and wait until you see it animated" - Jay is Games
● "an elegant and beautifully designed slice of game" - Rock, Paper, Shotgun
● "The combination of great visuals, achievements, game design, and more offers high replay value" - GameSpot
● "It's easy to succeed, and really difficult to master. We are left open-mouthed by this one." - E4