Sonic the Hedgehog Review
- Perfect reproduction of the Mega Drive version.
- Tight controls.
- What you see is what you get, just Sonic 1.
If you were suckered in to buying a lesser version on other devices, you won't be burnt here. Arcade fans will want a copy to complete their classic collection and new arcade lovers will enjoy the quality platforming action.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Just about every mobile device has had an incarnation of this popular classic console game and there's no reason that SEGA shouldn't have brought it to the iPhone too. Iconic in its design and gameplay, the iPhone version of Sonic the Hedgehog 1 plays just as flawlessly as the Mega Drive version it's taken from.
A digital d-pad is used to run, spin and jump Sonic around each of the levels and the response has to be played to be believed. A major flaw for almost every mobile port has been the inability for the phone to run the game at the correct speed or provide adequate input. The iPhone version has none of these flaws.
Everything you've come to expect of Sonic is here. If you've played it before you'll get no more or less. In fact you'll get the whole game, which is rare for a mobile device as they often get a modified version to play. If the buttons are in your way you can also shrink the video turning your iPhone in to a miniature arcade machine.
Sonic the Hedgehog is a fast moving platformer that blasted out of the 90s and defined a generation of gamers. It's bright, clever and a must buy for classic gamers and anyone who wants a taste of Sonic as he should be - at full speed.
DescriptionThe Sonic game that started it all is now free-to-play and optimized for mobile devices!
Race at lightning speeds across seven classic zones as Sonic the Hedgehog. Run and spin through loop-de-loops as you collect rings and defeat enemies on your mission to save the world from the evil Dr. Eggman.
Sonic the Hedgehog joins the SEGA Forever Classic Games Collection, a treasure trove of free SEGA console classics brought to life on mobile for the first time!"
- OPTIMIZED FOR MOBILE Sonic The Hedgehog now plays in widescreen at a smooth 60FPS offering unrivalled performance and the game’s legendary soundtrack has been fully re-mastered.
- GOTTA GO FAST - Challenge yourself with an all-new Time Attack mode!
- NEW PLAYABLE CHARACTERS Play as Sonic’s friends Tails and Knuckles for the first time. Use their unique abilities to fly, climb, and glide around levels offering exciting new ways to explore.
- CONTROLLER SUPPORT Sonic The Hedgehog on Android offers exclusive support for the Power A Moga, Nyko, XBOX, and all HID controllers.
SEGA FOREVER FEATURES
- PLAY FREE
- SAVE YOUR GAME PROGRESS AT ANYTIME
- LEADERBOARDS – compete with the world for high scores
- CONTROLLER SUPPORT – fully integrated wireless Bluetooth controller support
- OFFLINE PLAY
- GAMES RELEASED EVERY MONTH - Download them all!
- INCLUDES iOS 10 STICKER PACKS
- "Believe the hype - this is the tidiest, smoothest and most exhilarating game you'll have ever seen." [97%] - Andy Smith, SEGA Power #22 (September 1991)
- “Difficult without being frustrating, addictive without being repetitive, and altogether a joy to play.” [925/1000] - Gary Whitta, ACE #47 (August 1991)
- "One of the best Mega Drive games I've ever played" [92%] - Rich Leadbetter, Mean Machines #10 (July 1991)
- Sonic Jam contained the first release of Sonic The Hedgehog that gave Sonic his spin dash move, which returns again in this remake
- Sonic The Hedgehog was also released in arcades on SEGA's Mega-Tech and Mega Play systems
- Rabbit and armadillo characters were considered for Sonic before settling on a hedgehog design
- While "Eggman" is Dr. Robotnik's nickname in the West, he has always been known as "Eggman" in Japan
CLASSIC GAME FACTS
- First released in the US on June 23rd, 1991
- It took Yuji Naka almost a year to finish designing Green Hill Zone Act 1
- Spring Yard Zone and Scrap Brain Zone were originally called Sparkling Zone and Clock Work Zone
- Music composed by Masato Nakamura of Dreams Come True fame
- - - - -
Game apps are ad-supported and no in-app purchases are required to progress; ad-free play option available with in-app purchase.
© SEGA. All rights reserved. SEGA, the SEGA logo, Sonic the Hedgehog, SEGA Forever, and the SEGA Forever logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of SEGA Holdings Co., Ltd. or its affiliates.