- Publisher: VPI.Net
- Plenty of game modes to play through including single player vs AI, Wi-fi online multiplayer and Bluetooth local multiplayer modes.
- Some enjoyable strategy gameplay once you get the hang of things.
- The instructions aren’t totally clear, gameplay will seem vague the first few rounds.
- The game rules are questionable at times; the computer gets moves in when they shouldn’t.
- The game relies on luck more than intuition in regards to attacking enemies.
If you enjoy tactical strategy games you’ll have some fun with AR3NA but the AI difficulty, limited game mode and questionable opponent moves might frustrate you at times.
- Full Review
AR3NA is a tactical strategy game where players square off against an opponent on a small battle grid. Each player has three units to control; an archer, a wizard and a warrior. Your goal is to eliminate all opposing units while keeping at least one of your units alive.
Players take control using the iPhone's touch screen interface and issue commands by tapping the appropriate on screen buttons. One of the main elements to the gameplay is making commands in anticipation of your opponent's move. You’ll need to plan your opponent’s next move in order to maximise damage from one of your three varied attacks. This adds quite a bit to the gameplay but as the game board is quite large, luck tends to play a more dominant factor than real strategy.
The visuals aren’t the prettiest and you might make some mistakes when moving units due to the closeness of each of the board squares. The sound is decent but players are unable to use their iPod during gameplay, which isn’t too much of an issue. There are a number of game modes to play through however, including single player versus computer, online multiplayer over Wi-fi and local via Bluetooth.
AR3NA is an enjoyable title that might take some time to get used to. The first five games you play will be strictly learning based but once you get the gist of it, it can get quite fun. The game won’t offer a ton of variety to players but it will give you something to kill some time with for a short while.