Beneath a Steel Sky: Remastered Review
- The remastered presentation and sound design looks and sounds fantastic.
- The game is very easy to control and play on the iPhone, no new platform transfer issues.
- The game’s storyline is still one of the best to date.
- Because of the touch controls and the screen size, using items can be hard at times as you can’t drag items to the very edge of the screen.
- The hint system can be used at any time and might be too tempting for players to resist.
- The game is quite long and isn’t the best if you’re looking for a quick 2 minute game.
If you’re an old school adventure gamer then Beneath a Steel Sky will reignite your love for the genre and leave you with a thoroughly enjoyable experience.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
If you were one of those gamers who were patient enough to play ‘point and click’ adventure games over 10 or more floppy discs, then today is your lucky day. The widely acclaimed 1994 DOS release Beneath a Steel Sky has made its way onto the iPhone. This new port has been vastly improved from the original but maintains the key elements that made it a cult classic.
The new control scheme uses the iPhones touch screen interface to interact with objects as you would a mouse. Players tap on an object for the ‘inspect’ and ‘interact’ commands to pop up - or the ‘talk’ command if it’s a character. Players will also collect and use various items to solve puzzles by dragging them from the inventory onto the environment.
The visuals look fantastic and the comic cut-scenes have been redone by original artist Dave Gibbons – The Co-creator of Watchmen. The sound is also updated but still sounds a little old school in quality, which fans of the original will enjoy. Like the original, the game features one main story mode but players can keep multiple game saves or profiles.
Beneath a Steel Sky is one of those gems that will draw in ‘point and click’ adventure fans and leave them with a satisfying experience. The transfer to the iPhone platform has been very smooth and makes the game a lot of fun to play. This isn’t a game you can jump into for a quick one minute play but if you love games with a strong story, some great visuals and enjoyable puzzle gameplay, then look no further.
DescriptionWhen orphaned Robert Foster is seized at gunpoint from the peaceful village he calls home and flown a thousand miles to a city he’s never seen, he can only ask himself: why me? Escaping from his abductors into the dark metropolis, he vows to avenge the murder of the only family he’s ever known.
Play 10+ hours of intense narrative puzzle-solving, meeting an array of dazzling characters, to ultimately uncover a terrible truth.
“Whether you're an established fan of puzzle adventures or just a newcomer to the genre, Beneath a Steel Sky is an absolute delight.” 9/10, Neon Kelly, Videogamer.com
“This is a story rich and layered throughout...” 4/4 (must have), Keith Andrew, Slide to Play (Game of the month)
Set in a dystopian future, with an ironic twist, this remastered version has many special new features, including:
• Stunning new animated movies from Dave Gibbons, co-creator of 'Watchmen'
• Context-sensitive hint system
• Remastered audio track featuring re-sampled voices and higher quality music
English speech with Spanish, French, Swedish, Portuguese, German, Italian, and English subtitles.
This software is covered under the terms of the GNU General Public License Version 2. For the full text of this license please visit our website.
What's New in Version 1.7• iOS9 compatibility
• General enhancements and bug fixes