Castle Frenzy Review
- Combo systems promote new challenging strategies.
- 3D makes for a more dramatic viewpoint.
- Lots of challenging levels.
- 3D camera can make some fine selections/movements difficult.
- It's Knights Onrush wearing a different mask.
- Repetitive locations.
It'll really come down to a judgment call of whether you want to play a game in 2D or 3D because when the chips are on the table you'll enjoy both equally. Castle Frenzy does more to show off your iPhone as a modern hand held gaming device, so that may just tip the scales for you.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Castle Frenzy by Gameloft combines some of the best features of the castle defense genre (while borrowing heavily from rival developer Chillingo) and brings the game to the third dimension. If you've played Knights Onrush before you'll feel more than a sense of déjà vu, but the gameplay is still a blast to enjoy as you deal with new enemies and master new attack techniques.
This is a touch and flick type of defense game and enemy selection is surprisingly accurate, which makes flinging the correct creature in a pack much less frustrating. Extra weaponry that can be obtained through sacrifices and gold earned are just as easy to use and usually pack enough punch that specific aiming is never really required. The 3D environment can prove troublesome when trying to deflect enemy attacks or when trying to feed your Hydra, so it's not entirely perfect sailing.
The art is amazing for the iPhone even despite the low polygon enemies which keep frame-rates steady. It still can't quite match the smooth detail of its 2D competitor, but the added animations and rag doll deaths in 3D are fun to enjoy. Thankfully most of the repetitive sounds aren't entirely annoying to endure and certainly aren't reminiscent of constant squeaky death splats.
While it really is more of the same there's enough here to sink your teeth in to. From the beautiful graphics to the slight changes in pace and even achievements to unlock and gloat over, Castle Frenzy is a joy to play and master.
DescriptionDiscover one of the most addictive castle defense games on the App Store: now with amazing 3D graphics!
It’s highly addictive!
Looking for a game to let off steam?
Feed the dark elves to the hydra, make warlocks explode against the fortress, drop a giant troll on a goblin squad, smash elves to the ground, shake away skeletons, throw boars in the air, and use magical spells to petrify, freeze or burn threatening invaders!
Relentless hordes of mythical creatures are pouring out of the darkness and heading straight to your castle. With each wave, their numbers and strength grow as they get closer to breaking in!
Your fingertip will become the most powerful weapon of all as you draw a zigzag on the screen to throw lightning or a trace a V to trigger a tornado!
Challenge your friends online to beat your achievements on Gameloft LIVE!
- 10 TYPES OF INVADERS that interact differently with one another and require different strategies to defeat
- 18 STRATEGIC UPGRADES: Buy a fireball or hydra with money earned by killing invaders
- 23 ACHIEVEMENTS to keep you entertained for hours
- ONLINE COMMUNITY: Compare your achievements and chat with your friends on Gameloft LIVE!
- FULL 3D graphics in a beautiful medieval fantasy world for total immersion in the game
- A progressively harder CAMPAIGN mode and an infinite SURVIVAL mode with adjustable difficulty
- ACCESSIBLE to both right- and left-handed players
Follow the official Twitter account to get more info about the game: http://twitter.com/Gameloft
Certain apps allow you to purchase virtual items within the app and may contain third party advertisements that may redirect you to a third party site.