- Smooth and responsive aiming and movement with tilt controls.
- OpenFeint and local highscore support.
- Only one game mode.
- Fairly repetitive despite "random" games.
Tilting and shooting are usually annoyingly hard to control and often feel like trying to slide an ice cube on a sheet of grease paper. Tilteroids is very natural to play and truly adds to the fun. It's not the most original game out there, but it does it well.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
You'd be forgiven for thinking that Tilteroids by JackCraft isn't the most original name for a game that involves TILTing the iPhone to shoot asteROIDS, but when a game does both of these things so well it's hard to call it anything else.
As you'd expect tilting performs the main duty of controlling your craft around the screen maneuvering your ship and at the same time aiming your weapon. Tilting to the sides smoothly rotates your shots left and right while moving side-to-side; tilting forward and backward will launch your ship in the same direction. A button can be held in the corner to continue firing, and tapping objects on screen will let you tether them to your ship.
The game is in full 3D and each type of asteroid is easy to identify as you learn which ones break apart and which ones disintegrate. It's still a fairly simple environment relying on a star field to fill most of the background and the special effects are well done. It can be a pain to avoid hitting incoming mines (which cause damage to everything on screen) and attempting to tow them past the space station you're guarding can be difficult, but it adds challenge and you soon learn to stop spamming your weapons.
Tilteroids is a simple idea done well. It's easy to replay and the challenge does slowly ramp up as accumulated damage becomes harder to avoid. More features or game modes would add to the value of the game greatly, but it's still a great little casual experience.
"Tilteroids is a simple idea done well. It's easy to replay and the challenge does slowly ramp up as accumulated damage becomes harder to avoid. ...a great little casual experience."
- Andrew Nesvadba, AppSpy
"The graphics and sound are decent. The controls work well, ... the gameplay is kinda fun. It’s simple like munching power pellets in 1982."
- Jason Johnston, TouchGen
"Wow - this has some of the best 3D graphics I've seen in a game like this. And the gameplay itself is really fun and challenging. A great game all around!
- iTunes review
• A uniquely physics based asteroids game.
• Collisions of objects accurately obey the laws of physics.
• Optimized for Retina display!
• Universal app optimized for iPad!
• Full use of 4 inch Retina displays!
• Easily maneuver and aim your ship by simply tilting.
• Auto calibration for comfortable play position.
• Support for all device orientations (iPad only).
• Simple taps unleash your weapons and engage the tractor beam.
• High quality, fully rendered 3D graphics and stunning special effects!
• Breathtaking high-res, dynamic backgrounds from the Hubble Space Telescope.
• Accurate 3D spatial sound effects - try the headphones!
• Global leaderboards and achievements via Game Center.
• A visually stunning asteroids game that's actually fun to play!
From the icy blackness of space hostile alien forces unleash unimagined terror upon a peaceful settlement, completely destroying their planet. Once orbiting the planet, your space station is all that remains of humanity in this part of the galaxy. It falls to you to defend this lone outpost against the onslaught of asteroids and the enemy fighters bent on your extermination.
• Visit our web site to see it in action!
• More features coming!
A classic game updated for a 21st century device.
What's New in Version 1.7.3• Custom control button positions for iPad!
• Support for full iPhone 5 display.
• iPod 5 now runs at a smooth 60 fps.
• Removed OpenFeint support, since the service is being discontinued.