iMusic Puzzle Review
- Puzzles generated randomly from your music catalog.
- Simple aural puzzles uncomplicated by visual clutter.
- No way to define playlists for the normal game.
- Slow to reach a challenging level with your own music.
iMusic is definitely a new way to rediscover your music catalog, but its generated puzzles don't feel as clever as those offered by more restricted offerings.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
One feature that's lacking from a lot of music based games is the ability to bring iTunes in to the mix. iMusic Puzzle by I-play experiments with this idea by turning your iTunes catalog in to a series of arcade-style puzzles.
iMusic splits tracks from iTunes in to tiny chunks that you have to sort and reorder to pass. These are represented by squares that you slide in to place in order to pass. Occasionally you'll run across bonus modes like a match-two or sorting game, but the basic gameplay is what you'll become most familiar with.
Red herrings are thrown in at later levels, but unless you're playing music you're unfamiliar with (which is unlikely if it's your own iTunes) then there's often little challenge to the game. The graphics are kept light-hearted which is briefly amusing if you happen to have any heavy music genres loaded up, but ultimately they're more functional than interesting. An arcade mode is available to quickly select a handful of songs and a difficulty level, bypassing many of the easier levels from the regular mode.
It's easy to see why music games try to avoid 'generated' puzzles as they're likely to run in to the problem of being too generic to truly enjoy. What makes iMusic manage to hold up is the fact that it's your music and there's little chance of being forced to play songs you don't like, making it a fun way to interact with your iTunes catalog.
Description"Surprisingly fun! If you want a new way to interact with your music, iMusic Puzzle is an casual option that is easy to enjoy." - Slide To Play
iMusic Puzzle is a game where you need to use your skills in order to solve audio puzzles that are created with pieces of your favorite iTunes Library songs!
The game currently offers three puzzles:
- Shuffle. A portion of a song is played and then it explodes into multiple audio samples. You'll have to arrange them in the correct order, making the music flow!
- Memory. A deck of audio segments is displayed, you need to listen and find the pairs with the same part of the song!
- Drop. Samples of different songs are falling; you need to quickly drop them in their corresponding song slot!
There are two gameplay modes:
- Arcade, in which iMusic Puzzle will randomly select 28 songs from your iTunes Library
- Quick Play, where you can pick up your favorite songs and play them!
Every time you add a new song to your iTunes Library you'll have a different game to play! Enjoy!
Online leaderboards and achievements are provided by OpenFeint! You can compare your score with your friends and publish your achievements on Twitter and Facebook!