Decoder Ring Review
- Great puzzle game concept and design.
- Players are free to use their iPod during gameplay.
- 5 difficulties to challenge you.
- The letter wheels can be a bit sensitive at times.
- The word bank features some bizarre and obscure words - Bowsprit, Remsleep and Electioneered.
- Although players are presented with the time taken to solve the puzzle, there are no local or online scoreboard options to see results.
While the concept is quite good, Decoder Ring is a game that needs a polish to really make it shine.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Were you ever one of those kids who invented your own alphabet or language? If you were, then prepare to take an unexpected trip down memory lane. Decoder Ring is a crossword type puzzle game where players must decode the strange glyphs and symbols into letters to form words.
You’ll use a small rotating decoder ring to match up symbols and letters in the puzzle. You’ll be given a few letters on the board to get you started and from there it’s a case of trial and error to see if you can solve the puzzle. Players can also check their answers or reveal an answer at the cost of additional time being added to their total puzzle time.
The game’s presentation is simple as is the minimal amount of game sound; fortunately players are free to use their iPod during gameplay. At the end of each game, players are given a total time based on how long it took to solve the puzzle and time penalties if they used any hints, but this score is shown once and that’s it. There are no local highscore boards or online leaderboards to keep track of your progress; which is a real disappointment.
Decoder Ring’s concept is solid but like most word based games, suffers from a poor word bank, leaving players with some frustrating gameplay to say the least. The game itself plays fine, although the spin sensitivity of the letter rings can be a bit iffy at times, but as a whole, the game feels like it would benefit from a bit of tweaking and an update or two to iron out some of the annoying kinks.
DescriptionIf Sudoku and Crosswords had a baby, this would be it!!
- Do decoding puzzles intrigue you?
- Do you find problem solving fun?
- Does completing a Soduku or crossword feel satisfying?
- Do you have a way with words?
- Are you up to a challenge?
This is your kind of application!
Decode the symbols on the crossword grid and bind them to letters on the Ring to make meaningful horizontal and vertical words on the crossword grid.
Using intuitive and smooth touching and scrolling on the Ring, letters and symbols are bound or unbound for ease of puzzle-solving.
Gameplay is designed to satisfy experts as well as novices, and everyone in between, complete with hints and reveals, timing and rank.
This is a don't-miss for everyone looking for a non-mindless game!
What's New in Version 1.1You spoke - we listened. In an effort to keep refining the game and the gameplay, we have addressed following items:
• All puzzles have been replaced to adjust for difficulty and clarity
• Fine tuned separation of difficulty levels
• OpenFeint Upgrade to version 2.4.4
• User request for local scoreboard implemented
• Themed vocabulary puzzle packs have been introduced – 5 differently themed packs:
o Food and Drinks
Each pack is filled with 10 new exciting puzzles
• Overall bug fixes