The Secret of Grisly Manor Review
- Short, neat puzzle adventure game.
- Clean digitally altered photo artwork.
- Good mix of logic and memory puzzles.
- Fiddly controls for some of the puzzles; the safe in particular.
- Extremely short; anywhere from 20 minutes to just over an hour depending on your skill.
If The Secret of Grisly Manor is an indicator of more titles with a similar level of polish then this title does a great job of whetting your Adventure appetite.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
The Secret of Grisly Manor by Fire Maple Games is a puzzle adventure title of the style most people will easily compare to games like Myst. While the 'pure' Adventure genre saw a sharp decline some years ago, a recent revival in the form of bite-sized episodic challenges has helped to bring this classic genre to the foreground again.
We're not talking about hidden-object style games here either; no, this is all about taking abstract situations and puzzles and attempting to make the pieces fit together. Grisly Manor is quite linear in its approach and all but one or two puzzles are likely to give you trouble, but the simple touch-based exploration and puzzles slot together perfectly and in a matter of an hour or so you'll be done with this chapter.
The game's graphics are a hodge-podge of digitally altered photo-realistic images, though barring a few poorly edited sprites the world looks and feels coherent with an edge of spookiness to it all. Why your Grandfather would build such an elaborate way to lock himself in to his house is anyone's guess, but you can worry about that after you've figured out what to do with the fishbowl full of water.
'Short and sweet' titles are a sort of rare gem on the App Store and while opinions may vary on the 'true value' of such games they remain a satisfying experience to enjoy and sometimes it's nice to be left wanting a little more. Definitely worth grabbing for adventure fans and in particular those who enjoyed the Myst series.
DescriptionGrandpa always was a little eccentric. A fantastic engineer, he was always buried in his work, always coming up with new ideas and inventions that as a child held you wide-eyed in awe.
Now, after many years, you return to the house that holds so many fond memories for you, with a promise from Grandpa to show you something truly amazing. You can't even begin to imagine what it could be!
It's a dark and stormy night as you arrive at Grisly Manor. The rain beats down hard, lightning flashes in the sky as the sound of thunder fills your ears. You already feel a little creeped out, but when you make your way inside, the house is curiously empty. Grandpa is nowhere to be found!
But his presence is everywhere.
Familiar objects have been re-engineered to create puzzles for you. Clues abound, and as each puzzle is solved, the solution to others present themselves. As well as new puzzles, of course.
Grandpa obviously spent a lot of time making sure that nobody could solve the myriad of puzzles strewn about the house. Nobody but you, his favorite grandchild...
Can you solve the mystery of Grisly Manor?
• Beautiful hand-painted graphics that draw you into this mesmerizing adventure!
• Lots of items to collect and puzzles to solve!
• Original soundtrack and sound effects!
• A journal that keeps track of all the symbols and clues that you encounter.
• A dynamic map that shows all of the areas you have explored, as well as your current location.
• A complete hint system built right into the game.
• The Secret of Grisly Manor has been translated into many languages.
• Available for iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad!
What's New in Version 1.9.1All of the art and programming has been updated to support retina devices.
Now supports all iOS devices.
Has been localized into multiple languages.
A hint guide, journal and map are now built into the game.