Space Station: Frontier Review
- An expansion to the tower defense genre.
- Easy to play.
- Quickly addictive.
- Placing power links can be annoying.
- Can be hard to see what's going on sometimes.
For fans of the RTS and TD genres, Space Station: Frontier provides a solid crossover with some very addictive gameplay.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
The tower defense genre has been one of the more popular of the app store, patrly due to the simplicity of its touch controls. Space Station: Frontier takes the simple controls and gameplay of tower defense and adds the base building, expansion, and resource management of the RTS genre. As a mining operation on the outskirts of the solar system, you are attacked by a hostile force, and must defend your operation.
If you've played a tower defense game, you know the basics. Drag a tower to place it on the map, and touch it to either upgrade or sell. What differs is that you need to create power chains linking to your main base which you can attach miners and defensive equipment to. The miners mine the ore rich asteroids littered around the map which you then use to build units, upgrade them, and extend your reach.
The visuals consist of 3d sprites that rarely disrupt the flow of gameplay. The sound effects are decent, as is the in-game music, however you can use your ipod if you want a different soundtrack. Aside from the campaign, there is also a survival and mining mode, plus a shop to buy new units to build in the main game.
Origin8 Technologies have set out to put a new spin on the tower defense genre by shifting it more towards a real time strategy game. The game is easy to control, has a nice difficulty curve, and some longevity. If you're looking for a new strategy title to keep you busy on the iphone, you certainly can't go wrong with Space Station: Frontier.
DescriptionFrom the team of the award-winning Sentinel TD series!
A deep space mining operation should be a peaceful job, not when a mysterious alien race is violently contesting the territory!
Harvest precious energy, fortify your station, build up your firepower to defend humanity's domain on this new frontier!
• Construct weaponry and mining tools using an intuitive tower defense style interface.
• Design and power vast networks of structures, then defend them against alien incursion!
• Earn upgrades and unlocks for your space station to increase its power and abilities!
• Enjoy the story-based campaign mode where you are humanity's last chance for survival.
• Play one of three freeform, endless modes and compete with other players worldwide using the online leaderboards.
• Mission mode provides quick tactical challenges. Beat a scenario to earn achievements!
• Multiplayer head-to-head! Play against another player on iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad! Needs LAN WiFi or Bluetooth.
• GameCenter integration provides online scores and lots of achievements to earn.
• Awesome music & sound effects by Earcom!
or check out http://www.origin8.com/spacestation
"If you’re an RTS fan, you’ll love it. If you’re a tower defense fan, you’ll love it. If you’re neither and are just looking for a great game, you’ll love it too."
"It may be a bit premature to talk about games of the year when its only January 4th but if Space Station: Frontier is not one of them I will be greatly surprised. Spend the money for this game, it will be worth it."
• TouchReviews.Net - 5/5 stars!
"Space Station: Frontier is an excellent strategy title. There’s a lot going on in this pocket of the solar system!"
"With its easy-to-use interface, multiple game modes, and exhilarating gameplay, Space Station: Frontier is able to offer both a flashy package and a deep strategic experience."
• AppSmile.com - 5/5
• Multiplayer has arrived! Play head-to-head against your friends over Bluetooth or local WiFi network! Use your crystal to send ships and destroy your opponent to earn credits to upgrade your station!
• New Multiplayer Openfeint achievements!
• Misc fixes and improvements
• Campaign mode has been extended with 5 new missions and new gameplay features!
• A completely new endless game mode!
• A new 'Rail Cannon' turret is available to buy in the Shipyard.
• A new 'Emergency Battery' upgrade can be bought from the shipyard.
• Power generators can now be upgraded.
• Difficulty of enemy waves in endless modes has been completely reworked for a less frustrating experience.
• New Openfeint achievements and leaderboards.
• Lots of bugfixes including some crash fixes.
••• Also available in HD for the iPad - Space Station: Frontier HD!
What's New in Version 2.0.0- GameCenter added to replace OpenFeint (their servers are being switched off Dec 2012).
- News system to keep you informed of our latest developments
- iOS6 Compatibility