- Publisher: Dot Matrix Interactive Design
- Genre: Action
- Released: 13 Aug, 2009
- Size: 14.0 MB
- Price: $2.99
- Visual gauges to remember your last shot.
- Online multiplayer via Wifi/3G/Edge.
- Single Player can be overly unfair due to randomness.
KIL.A.TON has everything that made the turn-based tactical shooter so fun. This may be partly due to being almost a direct clone of Scorched Earth and honestly, there's nothing wrong with that - a must buy.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
From the ancient days of Artillery on the Apple II, to the popularization of Worms on multiple platforms, the turn-based tactical shooter has continued to be a genre that is not only fun, but combines strategy with just the right amount of luck to keep you on your toes. KIL.A.TON by Dot Matrix Interactive is a simple little sexy App that'll have you blasting your friends (or hapless foes) in style.
Being more akin to the 1991 PC game Scorched Earth, KIL.A.TON uses only two major controls; a swipe to change the angle of your shot and a firing button in the corner that you hold to select the power of your shot. Both controls respond perfectly, helping you to maintain your trajectories, though the swipe suffers the common problem of having no fine control.
There's not a lot of variation in terrain, with most of it being randomly generated and filled in by the use of beautiful background screenshots. That doesn't detract from the game however as most of the special effects are spectacular to watch and often half of the fun is trying out all the weapons to see how they work.
For most people who played variations on these games in the 90s, this hardly gets much better. There's no Bluetooth multiplayer to watch your friends as they bite the dust like you would have crowded around a PC, but everything else is intact. Fun by yourself and fun with others, a must buy.
DescriptionKIL.A.TON is a fast paced action/strategy game with up to 6 tanks competing to be the last one standing. Defeat your opponents to collect their bounties and spend the proceeds to outfit your tank with powerful weapons and defenses.
"On worlds where life is cheap, death has its price..."
PocketGamer.com finalist for Best Action/Arcade Game of 2009!
"Action from beginning to end, KIL.A.TON's fast-paced play manages to combine strategy with full-on fighting to deliver battle-based brilliance"
- Keith Andrew [PocketGamer.com], 9/10
"KIL.A.TON is the premier tactical artillery game for casual gamers."
- Tim Rattray [SlideToPlay.com], 4/4
"...an awesome artillery game for the iPhone and iPod touch. This game is difficult to put down... Major kudos for making such a fun and polished artillery game..."
- Carter Dotson [ThePortableGamer.com]
"...KIL.A.TON is a first-rate artillery game with a well-implemented twist — simultaneous battles. This means more intense battles... ratcheting up the game in terms of strategy and intensity. And if that doesn’t interest you, the amount of in-game content and online multiplayer play may."
- Big Albie [TouchArcade.com], 4/5
● 3 modes of play: Campaign, Online, Custom
● Progress through multiple Campaigns to prove yourself as the top mercenary in the galaxy
● Customize games with your favorite options: AI and User tanks, turn mode, length, wind strength and difficulty
● Up to 6 tanks on the battlefield in all game modes
● Advanced AI with 4 difficulty levels to challenge all users
● 29 weapons and defensive systems: select your equipment to match your strategy for victory!
● Awards: earn achievements by playing the various game modes
● Realistic 2D physics engine
● Stunning visuals & FX via advanced particle systems
● Natural landscape generation: no two battlefields are ever the same
● Dynamic terrain: modify the battlefield to your advantage
● Play anyone, anywhere over WiFi/3G/Edge
● Browse games, stats, and tournaments via our full-featured online game lobby
● Compete against players worldwide, in multiple ranking categories
● Persistent online and local statistics
[** Note that all online features now require version 1.2.2 to play **]
What's New in Version 1.2.3Fixed stability issues introduced in 1.2.2.
Fixed backgrounding of KIL.A.TON.