Shrek Kart™ Review
- Lots of gameplay options.
- Cleverly designed race-tracks.
- Patchy framerate problems.
- Controls aren't always responsive.
There's no denying that Shrek Kart brings the Mario Kart formula to the iPhone and does it well, but if it wasn't for the framerate problems it'd be almost perfect. Lots of fun and lots to do!
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Gameloft have been fairly synonymous with quality games on the iPhone and even if some of their games haven't excited you, it's hard to deny that they're good at emulating popular games. Shrek Kart is no different, taking the Mario Kart formula and producing a fun go-kart experience for you and your friends to enjoy on the iPhone.
Shrek and his pals are thrown around their whacky tracks through two different methods. Accelerometer tilt controls are the default for steering, but touch options are available to steer by touching the sides of the screen. Both methods aren't perfect, requiring some adjustment depending on the character you kart with.
Half of the kart control issues do come about as a result of the patchy frame rate. At times the game engine does struggle to keep up, so it's easy to plough off the track or in to a wall. The game world itself is colourful and fun, with each character rendered clearly. There are some clipping issues and on several levels it's hard to judge the direction to take.
Franchise tie-ins are usually something to be wary of, especially if the developer is forced to produce a game in a strict deadline. Shrek Kart does feel a bit unfinished and could have spent a bit more time buffing out the control and frame-rate issues, but it's still a great game that sticks to the "kart" formula and is recommended for anyone after a light-hearted racing experience.
DescriptionOPTIMIZED FOR iPHONE 4! High-definition graphics that fully utilize the iPhone 4 Retina display & gyroscope support for innovative controlling and driving precision.
For the first time on the App Store, you can play as SHREK! Challenge your friends in Multiplayer and Arena modes! Explore the world of DreamWorks Animation’s Shrek!
Once Upon a Time…
Shrek and his friends are on a quest: To become the Kingdom’s Fastest Kart Racer! Race to your own Fairy Tale ending and try to win Ye Grand Tournament.
But remember: Only 1st Place lives Happily Ever After!
All is fair(y) in this twisted tournament tale:
- 4 SINGLEPLAYER MODES: Single Race, Tournament, Challenges and Arena modes
- LOCAL MULTIPLAYER MODE: Challenge your friends to eat your dust via Wi-Fi (with up to 6 players) and Bluetooth (2 players)!
- MILES OF RACING FUN with 19 cups in the Tournament mode and 72 challenges to face!
- 10 UNIQUE KARTS: Each character has custom built his or her own vehicle, each with a special ability and different characteristics.
- 11 DEFENSIVE & OFFENSIVE POWER-UPS: Drop the Cow That Jumped Over the Moon on an opponent or shoo away those Angry Bees by wiping off the screen with your finger!
- 15 TRACKS (12 Speedways & 3 Arenas): Beautiful 3D environments from throughout the Kingdom, from Shrek’s home in The Swamp to the palm-lined streets of Far Far Away.
- MORE THAN 10 PLAYABLE CHARACTERS: Shrek, Donkey, Fiona, Ogre Triplets, Puss In Boots, Gingy, 3 Little Pigs, Pinocchio, Big Bad Wolf and the Ghost of Lord Farquaad !
- iPod LIBRARY ACCESS: Rock out to your own personal soundtrack while you speed towards the Finish Line! (Works with the OS 3.0 software update.)
Race Happily Ever After!
Follow the official Twitter account to get more info about the game: http://twitter.com/Shrek_Games
Shrek Kart ™ & © 2009 DreamWorks Animation L.L.C. Shrek is a registered trademark of DreamWorks Animation L.L.C. Shrek Kart Game Software © 2009 Gameloft. All Rights Reserved.
What's New in Version 1.1.1Updated for iPhone 4 and iOS 4
- Sharper physics allowing for smoother driving thanks to the gyroscope
- Crisp, gorgeous high-resolution graphics to take full advantage of the iPhone 4 Retina Display
- Support for iOS 4 multitasking on compatible devices: Switch between your favorite apps instantly