Virtual Villagers 3: The Secret City Review
- Lots of intricate social puzzles to solve.
- Easy to jump in and learn.
- No real replay value.
- Interface is uncomfortably small.
The only big disappointment from Virtual Villagers 3 is that many of the puzzles do require a lot of trial and error. This game is one for the long-haul, but it's also great value for your investment.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Virtual Villagers 3 by Last Day of Work is the latest installment of the series that combines puzzles with a fascinating voyeuristic style of gameplay that takes The Sims and gives it a Survivor TV series spin.
A lot has gone in to transferring this game to the iPhone from the PC and Mac, but something was lost in translation during the process. The main set of controls only require you to drag and drop villagers between destinations, however this can be quite difficult as the menus, villagers and their targets are far too small for the iPhone's screen. Thanks to the style of gameplay, taking a bit of extra time is never problematic, but it can be immensely frustrating while coaching villagers in new tasks or attempting to spend your research points.
The game is set on a small slice of an island paradise that's beautifully hand drawn and animated. The villagers themselves are randomly generated and can have a very diverse set of looks, making it easy to keep track of each one individually. Most of the gameplay revolves around puzzles that can be solved once certain skills have been learned, but due to the realtime nature of the game this can take many real days to achieve.
Although Virtual Villagers 3 will require a large investment in time, your patience is dutifully rewarded with a personalized colony of survivors that you can play with a few minutes a day or during every break. There's a lot to get done and fans of games like The Sims will be right at home.
DescriptionVillagers: The Secret City is the third chapter in the award-winning Virtual Villagers series from the creators of Fish Tycoon and Virtual Families. This is the same game that became a best-selling Windows and Mac sensation!
Care for and nurture a tribe of little people by teaching them the basics of survival. Grow a small village in your iPhone: your little villagers have food needs, housing needs, technologies to research and diseases to fight! As the tribe grows and prospers, the villagers become curious about the ruined city they have discovered and the secrets it holds.
The game continues to progress in true real time, even when your iPhone is turned off, so don’t forget to check in regularly to care for your tribe, help them gain skills and technology, and enable them to discover the secrets that lay waiting for them. How will you lead your tribe?
More about Virtual Villagers: The Secret City:
* Real-time weather! Clouds, fog, and sudden downpours that drench your tribe.
* Real-time game play, with new surprises every time you turn on the game!
* Discover who among your tribe is destined to become Chief!
* Investigate and rebuild the remains of a ruined city!
* Find new sources of food for your villagers!
* Help your villagers make a variety of unique potions from hidden herbs, many with unpredictable effects.
* Dozens of new collectibles for children to retrieve.
* Raise children who resemble their parents.
* Watch your villagers thrive, and then grow old, slow and grey.
* Help your villagers unravel the mysteries of Isola!
Virtual Villagers have been awarded with:
* Sim Game of the Year – Game Tunnel
* The Zeebys – Gamezebo
* Parents Choice Recommended Award
* iParenting Media Award
Recommended for people who enjoy casual sims and adventure stories like the Lost TV series and Survivor!
Visit our Official Virtual Villagers site at www.VirtualVillagers.com for instructions, strategy guides, and much more!
What's New in Version 1.1.1Improved icon
Links to Twitter and Facebook
Added link to browse our other games