Arctopia: A Puzzle Game (Chapters 1-14) Review
- Around 120 game levels to play through.
- Players can access their iPod during gameplay.
- The move counter is a bit over sensitive - even turning in spot counts as a move.
- The game sound comprises of sound effects only.
- The visuals are quite plain.
While Arctopia may not have the flashiest presentation the complex strategy/puzzle gameplay will certainly keep players happy.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Arctopia is a chilled out puzzle game that puts players in control of a small penguin as he must extinguish a number of small fires in each level. To do so, you’ll need to move around large ice cubes, create new cubes and manipulate other obstacles.
Players control the penguin’s movement by using the onscreen arrows and can create ice cubes by tapping on the snowflake icon. Ice can only be created on a downward diagonal angle and you cannot directly put out flames adding a moderate amount of planning to the gameplay.
The visuals are quite simple but do their job, as does the minimal game sound. Fortunately players can use their iPod during the gameplay. The game contains one main game mode featuring around 120 levels but doesn’t offer any highscore or leaderboard options besides the over ambitious move counter.
Fans of Boxed In 2 will find something to enjoy in Arctopia and its involved puzzle gameplay. The game’s presentation might seem a bit simple but it’s the difficult gameplay that will keep you coming back for more. It’s a bit annoying that there isn’t any major process tracking or highscore options available but this is certainly a forgivable issue.
DescriptionCompletely free. No ads. No in-app purchases.
Arctopia is a classic turn-based puzzle game.
Solve 147 levels across 14 chapters of varying difficulty.
In each level of Arctopia, your goal is to strategically use blocks of ice to extinguish all of the sinister eyebrowed flames that menace the level. Unfortunately, this is rarely straightforward, as fires may be inconveniently placed, blocked by burning oil barrels, or defended by blockades of ice.
You can create and destroy ice, but only below your current position, so thinking ahead is mandatory. . . and there are many traps for the unwary!
(Note that if you find early levels too easy (or you find a particular level too frustrating!), you can always skip to a different level and come back later.)
The number of moves taken for your best solution is saved for each level, so you can strive for maximum efficiency if you so desire.
The intro levels are (skippable) tutorial stages, so don't worry about learning the basics of the game.
- Completely free. No ads. No in-app purchases.
- Designed for both iPad & iPhone.
- Arctopia is a turn-based strategic puzzle game
- 147 levels, across 14 chapters.
- No time limits or requirements for fast reflexes.
- Skippable tutorial section to introduce the game mechanics.
- High scores and progress are saved automatically after every level.
- Levels can be completed in any order.