Call of Duty: Zombies Review
- Publisher: Activision Publishing, Inc.
- Genre: Social Networking
- Released: 16 Nov, 2009
- Size: 50.4 MB
- Price: $4.99
- A lot of gameplay options to choose from – Single player, co-op via Bluetooth/wi-fi/internet, leaderboards.
- Same levels as the original console game; with plans for more via updates in the future.
- The FPS control scheme works quite well and doesn’t feel awkward.
- The iPhone port won’t be as polished as the next-generation console game due to the smaller production quality.
- Due to the smaller scale and format of the game, some of the intense atmosphere is lost.
If you’re going to compare Call of Duty: World at War Zombies to the original then you might be a little disappointed by the large quality difference. But if you loved the original and love the idea of an iPhone port, then this is a must buy.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
World at War Zombies is an iPhone port of the popular game mode from the console versions of Call of Duty: World at War. For those of you who are familiar with the Zombies mode of World at War, the core gameplay here is still the same. You’ll need to fend off waves of incoming zombie soldiers while repairing barriers and purchasing new guns to make killing easier.
Players control the zombie killing action by using the iPhone’s touch screen and tapping on the appropriate buttons to complete actions such as shooting, repairing barriers, reloading and aiming. The controls are pretty straightforward but there is a training level where players will learn everything they need to know.
The game’s detailed 3D visual presentation looks great and features some of the same maps as the console original. The sound is also very well done but some of the atmosphere is lost due to the smaller iPhone format. The game consists of a number of modes and offers players a variety of co-op multiplayer options and single player leaderboards.
While it may not be as streamlined as the original, Call of Duty World at War Zombies is a great iPhone game fans of the original mode will definitely love. The controls work well and are a lot better than some other FPS' currently available. It’s hard for an iPhone game to live up to the expectations of a next-gen console game but World at War Zombies delivers quality zombie defence gameplay and a ton of multiplayer options to keep players busy.
DescriptionFour Massive Zombie Maps. One Great New Price. Now includes the ALL-NEW fan favorite, Der Riese, the largest, most feature-rich Zombie map to date. This is the ultimate Co-op experience for the iPhone/iPod Touch!
“Der Riese” (Zombie Factory) features:
•The all-new Pack A Punch Machine allows you to upgrade ANY of your weapons: Increased Firepower, More Ammo, and a new Metal Finish.
•New Teleporters allow you and your team to zip around this enormous map and evade the oncoming Zombie Horde.
•The Bowie Knife allows to you take down higher level zombies in one quick blow.
•Favorites such as the Hell Hounds, the Wunderwaffe lightning gun, and the Perks-a-Cola Machines return.
•The online 4-player co-op action you've come to expect returns with even more intensity.
“Shi No Numa” (Zombie Swamp) features:
•Shi No Numa is a hauntingly beautiful environment filled with terrifying zombies, weapons, and zombie traps.
•New weapons featuring the Wunderwaffe DG-2. Fry hordes of zombies with a single blast from this shockingly powerful new weapon.
•Survive the Hellhounds! Ferocious and fast, the Hellhounds will test your reflexes and your team's ability to work together.
•New playable characters! Play as Tank Dempsey (US), Takeo Masaki (Japan), Nikolai Belinski (USSR), and the infamous Dr. Richtofen (Germany).
•New Zombie traps including the Flogger for massive Zombie destruction and the Zipline for quick getaways.
Call of Duty: Zombies also includes:
•“Verrückt” (Zombie Asylum): Dare to enter the insane asylum and fend off the Zombie onslaught alone or with friends. Use electric traps to keep the zombies at bay.
•“Nacht der Untoten”: The original zombie map returns in all its glory. Fight to survive in the abandoned bunker that started the zombie phenomenon.
About Call of Duty: Zombies:
Call of Duty: Zombies brings the classic Call of Duty: World at War zombie-slaying game mode to the iPhone™ and iPod® Touch. Featuring ALL 4 Zombie maps, you’ll need to bring along your friends to help push back the endless waves of attacking zombies!
- Call of Duty: Zombies for the iPhone™ supports up to four players via Wi-Fi/Internet and two players via Bluetooth. Play with your friends in the same room, on the other side of town, and even across the globe. With the option of either private or open matchmaking, where there’s a Wi-Fi connection, there’s a friend to go Zombie-hunting with.*
- This is the Zombie experience from Call of Duty: World at War. All 4 Zombie maps have been fully realized on the iPhone™ in a silky smooth 3D environment, along with the return of your favorite guns and killer power ups.
- Three different control schemes are available to suit your style. Take advantage of the iPhone’s unique tilt capabilities or, for Zombie vets, use the virtual analog sticks to fend off the undead.
- Call of Duty: Zombies features a massive list of unique Achievements.
- Leaderboard support awards the best of the best, accessed directly through your iPhone™ or iPod® Touch. Become the top zombie slayer and prove your standings to the world!
So snap to attention, pick up Call of Duty: Zombies, and start fending off the zombie horde!
*Wi-Fi support only at this time, play unavailable on cellular networks.
Note: Call of Duty: Zombies is best played on a 2nd generation iPod® Touch or higher with the latest firmware installed.
What's New in Version 1.5.0• The Der Riese map
• Unlocking of maps Verruckt and Shi No Numa, previous available only as DLC
• New Zombie variants
• Zombies can climb ledges
• Better Zombie AI (for crowd situations in big open rooms)
• Teleporters: power them up and link them
• Monkey Bombs: attract nearby zombies, to give you some breathing space
• The Pack-A-Punch machine, to upgrade your weapons
• Pack-A-Punch upgrade effects to all weapons: more damage, ammo capacity and special abilities
• New achievements