Rogue Planet Review
- Players can continue their current games from the last round played if the application is quit.
- The visuals look great and the attack animations are very well done.
- Multiplayer modes available via Bluetooth and Wi-fi access.
- The constant room navigation gameplay can be quite distracting and annoying after a while.
- The gameplay itself isn’t as exciting as some other TRPGs out there.
While it may not have the most exciting gameplay, if you’re a fan of tactical RPGs like Advance Wars, then Rogue Planet is worth a look at.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Rogue Planet is a tactical RPG from developers Gameloft, this time mimicking the strategic gameplay of the Gameboy Advance title Advance Wars. Players proceed through a campaign mode and must engage in numerous battles using strategy, careful planning and effective combat manoeuvres to wipe out the enemy and secure victory.
Players control their units by tapping on them to select them and then tapping on the square you want them to move to. You can then choose to attack if an enemy unit is next to you or even combine smaller units of the same type to increase power. All actions are controlled by the appropriate button choices during gameplay and the game’s tutorial level will introduce you to the controls.
The sharp visual presentation is a standout in this game; mixing the 2D game visuals with smooth attack animations. The sound is strong and immersive but players are unable to use their iPod during gameplay. There is a moderate story mode for players to work through but the option to set up multiplayer matches via Bluetooth or Wi-fi is also available.
If you love tactical RPGs like Advance Wars or Uniwar then Rogue Planet is a great play. For the most part the game is solid and will certainly offer players a challenge but the gameplay itself can seem a little too slow or uninspiring. However, if you’re a Tactical RPG nut then this won’t be an issue for you and you’ll enjoy the level of strategy needed to win each battle.
DescriptionNew update! Try out the ONLINE MULTIPLAYER mode and go up against players from around the world, 24 hours a day! Play up to 32 games simultaneously in 3G or Wi-Fi. Already universally acclaimed for the quality of its single-player mode, with this update Rogue Planet is now the ULTIMATE turn-based strategy game on the App Store!
*** “Rogue Planet is one of the best turn-based strategy games we have played on the iPhone.” SlideToPlay 4/4 MUST HAVE
*** “For fans of the genre, Rogue Planet should be a no-brainer. For genre newcomers, Rogue Planet makes an excellent point of entry.” - No Dpad
*** “Tons of maps and missions in both quick play and story mode will keep you glued for hours.” – IGN 8/10
Plunge into this unique turn-based strategy game set in a futurist world. Take command of unbelievable battles in Solo and Multiplayer modes!
- A BREATHTAKING STORY MODE: Discover the story through numerous cutscenes. Complete 19 campaign missions to defeat the machines and take back Earth!
- GET READY FOR ENDLESS FUN! Quick Play mode features 34 maps: 19 from Story mode, and 15 new ones playable with 2 different armies and 3 difficulty levels.
- MULTIPLAYER MODE: Face your friends' armies via local Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connection. With the latest update, play online with players from around the world: up to 32 games simultaneously in 3G or Wi-Fi!
- REALISTIC ENVIRONMENTS AND ANIMATIONS: Sci-fi visuals and 3D backgrounds provide maximum immersion in the game.
- OPTIMIZED GAMEPLAY: Touch the screen to select your units, zoom-in or rotate the game field.
- A LIVELY SOUNDTRACK for a unique feeling of intensity: Epic themes, shouting soldiers and mechanical sound effects give life to your army!
Certain apps allow you to purchase virtual items within the app and may contain third party advertisements that may redirect you to a third party site.
What's New in Version 1.2.1- New online multiplayer mode (3G and Wi-Fi): up to 32 games simultaneously
- 14 achievements to unlock
- Design modifications in the following missions: Mexico, Split, Continents
- Tap the left side of the screen twice during ship scenes in Story mode to go back to the main menu
- iOS 4 on iPhone 3GS and higher: even more detailed graphics
- iOS 4: multitasking