Snowboard Hero Review
- Unique unlockable characters with distinct styles and upgrades.
- Six different stages, each with multiple paths to explore.
- Intuitive control system.
- No alternative control schemes for those that dislike tilting.
- Limited variety of gameplay - characters play similarly, game modes lack variety early on.
While not mind-blowing, Snowboard Hero can be a seriously fun way to kill some spare time as you perform crazy flips off the edge of snowy cliffs.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Has snowboarding ever not been a fairly cool sport to enjoy? For one, you're essentially surfing on snow, but with the added bonus of being able to grind rails and perform crazy stunts much like a skateboarder. It's hard to be unimpressed by the antics of truly talented snowboarders and the sport has found itself the subject of many arcade sports titles including the latest title from FISHLABS, Snowboard Hero.
After choosing from one of the four currently available characters, players are subjected to multiple stages that test one of five different disciplines (time trial, freestyle, slalom, race and timed gates) though unlocking new characters will present harder challenges in the form of multiple disciplines being tested at the same time. Your reward for success is cash to unlock additional tricks, boards and other customizations and stars that go towards unlocking new characters.
Tilting left or right will steer your character in the same direction and tricks are performed via a combination of holds, taps and swipes on the screen, earning additional points and boost energy to give players that edge on time-sensitive levels. Each character features an individual set of animations, however many of the basic maneuvers remaining very similar making later stages fairly repetitive (especially given the limited amount of levels also available - currently weighing in at six different areas).
Two additional areas and characters are slated for a future update, however the inclusion of more characters without more gameplay doesn't help to resolve the steadily declining replayability of the game. There's a lot of fun to be had initially, but being limited to interacting with other players only via high-score hunting makes it hard to keep coming back for more.
With that said, if you're a fan of sporting titles and snowboarding games in general, Snowboard Hero is still a solid, polished App and well worth checking out.
DescriptionSnowboard Hero™, dual-winner of the prestigious IMGAwards in the categories “Best Sports Game” and “Operators' Choice”, brings an unrivalled snowboard experience with wicked tricks, insane air time and super fast downhill speed to your iPhone and iPad. Experience console-quality graphics, intuitive controls and top-notch sound in a stunning alpine setting and show the world that you are the undisputed Snowboard Hero.
Snowboard Hero™ is an action-packed fun sports spectacle which brings high-speed racing action, sensational air manoeuvres and break-neck tricks to your Apple smartphone or tablet. In the game, you take over the role of one of six freaky characters with individual boards, clothes, skills and special moves and race down a total of eight windy slopes consisting not only of hillsides and open alpine areas, but also of half pipes, ski jumps and glacier tunnels.
The game’s intuitive controls allow you to perform even the most dare-devil stunts at ease and make for an exciting high-speed ride down the sharpest curves and steepest scarps! Jump over kickers, pass through gates, race as fast as you can or grind whatever obstacle is on your way! Make sure you collect the power-ups to get an extra boost, trick bonus or cash.
Unlock a huge number of stylish jackets and pants to customize your character and invest your earned cash to buy new boards and improve your character’s abilities.
• Six playable characters with six standard and four individual special tricks to unlock
• Eight tracks with multiple runs in three different settings: Piste, halfpipe and open alpine area
• Individual boards and outfits for each character
• Five disciplines: time trial, freestyle, slalom, race, gate-time bonus
• Eight combination disciplines, including speedrun-slalom and race-speedrun-freestyle
• Record Chaser with online leaderboards in OpenFeint and Game Center
• Modifiable characteristics such as agility, speed, boost and jumps
• A total of 66 events
• High resolution support for retina display, as well as native support of the iPad’s 768p resolution
• Full support of AppleTV AirPlay: Race down the slope on your TV screen in 720p (Wi Fi) or Full HD (HDMI)
• Synchronization of save games via iCloud
SNOWBOARD HERO - IN THE PRESS
"With more tricks than your average magician, Snowboard Hero offers frenetic fun on the slopes, held together by an intuitive career mode that keeps you on track from start to finish."
PocketGamer.co.uk - 8/10 (Silver Award)
"Snowboard Hero's fun, easy to grasp gameplay and lengthy Career Mode make it far and away the best handheld snowboarding game, full of snow-stuffed challenges and visual style."
AppTudes.com - 4/5
Official Snowboard Hero™ Trailer: http://bit.ly/sbh-ipad-tr
Official Fishlabs Website: http://www.fishlabs.net
IMGA 7th Annual Award Winners Announcement: http://goo.gl/sqD2z
What's New in Version 1.6• Optimization for various resolutions
• Minor bug fixes