Drift Sumi-e Review
- Beautiful visuals.
- Polished game concept.
- Slow gameplay might not be to everyone's taste.
- Not a lot of content.
A polished game based on a solid concept.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Drawrace was an interesting concept. Draw a line with your finger around the track, and then see how fast your car gets to the finish line. Drift Sumi-e takes this mechanic and combines drifting cars with the elegance of Japanese sumi-e brush painting.
Control is quite basic. When presented with the track, you draw a line from start to finish, avoiding the red trouble spots of the track. After you're finished, the game will go into race mode as your car drifts through the turns you laid down for it. Creation of the track can be quite slow, so holding a finger on the screen fast forwards the action if you so wish.
Visually the game is breathtaking. The brush style is simplistic and elegant and the car animations as it drifts around are very smooth, especially when you take a snapshot. The sound effects are very basic, but there is ipod access if you need some background music. To unlock new tracks, you must achieve a rank one on the current track, but this also unlocks galleries, and snapshot access.
Drift Sumi-e is a beautiful simple game for the iphone. Its slow play style and lack of content may not appeal to all, but if you enjoyed Drawrace, or are looking for something a little different, this might be worth a look.
Description| An App Store Staff Favorite |
| IGN December 2011 Mobile Game of the Month |
"If you appreciate [art]...you will not be able to take your eyes off Drift Sumi-e...an absolutely gorgeous game." - IGN
IGN Mobile Game of the Month
"Overall, the game really stands out for its style and presentation." - Touch Arcade
"breathtaking" - AppSpy
"sheer brilliance" - UrbanRacer.com
"...one of those games that takes you back and you say, 'this game has set a new standard for the iPhone.'" - TopApps.eu
"...thanks to its artistic, meditative nature we’re given a game that relaxes every bit as much as it entertains." - knowyourcell.com
Welcome to the art of driving.
Experience Drift Sumi-e (su-me-eh): art and driving uncommonly fused into one.
A modern approach on a classic brushstroke art form focusing on capturing the essence of the subject, create a brush line and watch as it comes to life, car gracefully sliding through course.
• A groundbreaking gameplay dynamic. See what your brush line reveals.
• A sophisticated game engine with true-to-life driving physics.
• Beautiful, high-resolution car designs.
• 10 challenging tracks created by professional motorsports driver and US drift pioneer, Calvin Wan.
• Picture perfect environments. Visually stunning courses depict rich and serene anywhere-in-the-world locales.
• Deep and rewarding unlock system. Keep coming back for more - see what your first place rank unlocks.
• Snapshot and share. Sit back and watch through playback mode, then take snapshots of your run in action. Easily connect with Facebook, Twitter and email to share your art.
Drift Sumi-e (su-me-eh). Start with a raw canvas, finish with a real-world masterpiece.
Add us on:
• Twitter: http://twitter.com/DriftSumie
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/DriftSumie
What's New in Version 1.4INTRODUCING
• The 180moment Car (180moment.com)
We're commemorating the coming launch of our newest app, 180moment, with this European-inspired ode to the 70's. 180moment is a fun, new way to easily capture and share special memories. Request your free invite!
• The IGN Wagon
Surf's-up with our first wagon! Try pairing this car with any of our water-themed tracks for some retro relaxation.
• Garage Snapshots. Now pose, take and share your favorite snapshots from the garage!
• Improved camera system. Now the camera follows your car automatically. You can still swipe across the screen for different camera angles.
• Better drawing - we've refined the detection system.
• Bug fixes, performance improvements and other refinements.
Enjoy! And thank you for all your support!
Add us on Twitter - @DriftSumie | @180moment
Add us on Facebook - facebook.com/driftsumie