- Beautiful artistic style.
- Unique setting and challenges.
- Fun mini-levels to break up the game.
- Poor checkpoint placement.
- Occasionally confusing level design and gameplay choices.
- Counter-intuitive controls; controlled momentum requires constant careful instant-braking.
Grimm is a beautiful simplistic platformer with some interesting gameplay ideas, however it fails to impress with its mundane pacing that's only occasionally punctuated by fun mini-levels.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Grimm by ROBOX Studios is a quirky platformer that places style before gameplay, wrapping itself up in a cloak of macabre black and white Victorian-inspired etchings that are offset by the amusing premise of needing to control a carriage to return a lost baby back to its uncaring parents.
The setting is quite bizarre, but charming at the same time and not unlike an abstract children's novel. This is further reinforced by the poetic musings between each level that act as story-bridge between each of the game's 10 varied worlds. The carriage (or perambulator if you prefer) is controlled by tilting the iDevice in a landscape orientation and two buttons provide quick access to a jump and 'brake'. Enemies and objects around the grim landscape can be bounced on or interacted with directly, however players will also get to use the baby within the carriage as a projectile, flinging the gurgling bundle of joy at dangerous enemies or allowing it to manipulate switches hovering over dangerous hazards.
Unfortunately it all feels a bit stiff and lifeless, with enemies often more easily skipped by jumping over them or ignoring them entirely and 'puzzles' requiring little more than patience and good aim (which is thankfully aided by an indicator). The carriage itself also acts in an incredibly bizarre fashion, with its momentum being incredibly hard to stop, requiring the instant-brake button to move back and forth with accuracy. A pervasive sense of confusion is also present thanks to some levels changing up the gameplay mid-level, which while ordinarily not so bad it can cause you to question what to do next. Additional mini-levels act as the real highlight of the game as they mix the gameplay up in clever ways while remaining succinct.
Grimm is a beautifully designed Edward Gorey-esque inspired nightmare world that begs for attention, but as a game it lacks impact and falls victim to inconsistencies throughout each world. A charming experiment, but difficult to recommend.
DescriptionPLEASE READ THE DEVICE REQUIREMENTS BELOW. Thanks!
"New and Noteworthy" - Apple "iGame of the Day" - Kotaku
Featured by Apple in the "Great Platformers" section!
Mother has lost her baby! It is up to you, kindly gamer, to safely navigate the baby's carriage through over 10 worlds of twisted Victorian delights, delivering the lost child home. Avoid the specter of Mr. Grimm, a shadowy figure intent on stopping you at every turn. Grimm: Ride of the Perambulator is a unique side-scrolling adventure set in a dark and stylized world.
- Use the accelerometer to guide the carriage through over 10 worlds and 8 mini-levels of twisted and macabre delights.
- Launch the baby from the carriage to solve puzzles and combat villainous enemies
- Survive the fiendish intentions of Mr. Grimm as he doggedly pursues you, presenting new challenges along the way.
- Enjoy the unique and handmade art of the Grimm world.
Faithful gamer, the fate of a small child is in your hands. Bravery and courage are needed. Go forth, dauntless perambulator!
GRIMM RUNS ON THE FOLLOWING DEVICES
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 3GS
- iPod touch 4
- iPod touch 3 (16 GB and up)
"Exceptionally well made game with a hint of dark humor and original content. Grimm dares to go in a new direction with physics based platformers, and comes out with a winner. Super addictive and engaging game that’s worth every penny." - App Safari
Please follow the link below to visit our website for more information and to see: game trailers, teasers, screenshots, and more.
As always, thank you for your support! Stay tuned for updates and new features, coming soon, thanks to you!
What's New in Version 1.2DEVICE REQUIREMENTS: Grimm runs on the following devices: iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 4, iPod touch 3 (16 GB and up)
Hark! What goodness lies ahead?
• Multitasking: Switch between apps without losing your place!
• Baby Strike! Hitting an enemy with the baby now kills them with a single hit.
• Easier Baby-Launching: Simply grab the carriage with your finger and aim. No need to brake.
• Faster baby-scooping by the carriage.
• Faster carriage jumping.
• Speed! Faster carriage speed and game speed in general.
• Better Checkpoints: The game now saves at the last point reached in a level. No need to replay what you've already completed.
• Retina Display home screen icon (more Retina graphics coming!)
• Level tweaks and improvements
A sincere thank you for your support of Grimm! You've helped to make this update and future ones possible. Onward, brave pram!