Starfront: Collision™ FREE Review
- Easy to use control system; scales to your skill level.
- Significantly large campaign; split in to three race-specific storylines (~6+ hours depending on skill and completion level).
- Four player online multiplayer modes; 1v1, 2v2 or free-for-all on 5 different maps.
- Replay system allows you to save matches to view them again later.
- Limited voice acting; almost exclusively unit response audio.
- Unit 'type' selection oddly absent; also adding units to control groups can be tricky.
- Rush-heavy meta-game for online play; not necessarily a permanent issue.
Starfront: Collision shows that RTS titles have a great potential future on iOS devices; it's not perfect, but it hits all the right marks for competitive online play and a fun campaign.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Please Note: Due to Gameloft's new release system, the title is only free as a 'demo' with an in-app purchase unlocking the rest of the content. This does require an internet connection of some kind for your device, however given that this requires 3rd Gen or higher iOS device, this should be available in one form or another. The current release price is US$6.99 - please adjust accordingly for your region and be aware that sales/updates could affect this pricing regularly.
As a genre, the Real-Time Strategy (RTS) has matured and found its niche on desktop PCs mostly due to the complexity of the controls required to efficiently manage multiple elements in the game at any one time. Starfront: Collision by Gameloft may have a passing resemblance to the Starcraft series, but at its core is an RTS bred for iOS devices with a surprising amount of complexity to its competitive gameplay.
Each of the three available races feature the same basic setup for their base management, with workers being produced from a home-base structure and subsequently consumed when used to build additional structures or placed in resource gathering facilities. For those familiar with the Starcraft universe, this is not unlike playing as the Zerg and using up Drones, however once a resource node is captured it will automatically distribute minerals or energy back to your base, freeing up your time to manage your army.
Speaking of which, controlling your army is also a snap thanks to intuitive controls that allow you to select individual units, tapping to force them to attack while moving or holding down to move without attacking. Pinching the screen will also create a selection box to highlight multiple units that can subsequently be stored in one of three 'quick selection' buttons, reducing the time required to jump around the screen and back to your army.
The overall result is a highly specialized system that provides all the major conveniences of modern RTS titles while keeping the screen relatively uncluttered (all the better to enjoy the game's slick 3D graphics). To offset the similarity in base control, each race features a unique set of army units and upgrades that give them their individual feel. Playing online is a blast and players can enjoy multiple game modes with up to four players, however it's not quite clear as to how matchmaking pairs players up with other opponents and RTS fans should be aware that the game is (currently) favoring rush tactics, though the meta-game certainly has room to evolve.
But... you know what's best of all? None of this even begins to take in to account the 20 mission campaign and skirmish modes against AI players. While the story isn't astounding, the missions provide a good amount of variety and 'hard achievements' for those after more of a challenge. What is usually considered the main bulk of the game is simply the icing that allows you to enjoy the game offline as well.
Starfront: Collision may not be a perfect rendition of a modern RTS, but its concessions are understandable and playing against gamers around the world is a blast. A must-try for any RTS fan after some serious competition.
DescriptionThe best real-time strategy is now at your fingertips! Starfront: Collision, the epitome of RTS gameplay with gorgeous HD graphics and a competitive 4-player multiplayer, finally hits the App Store!
Live your first battles as a commander for FREE. Then, if you’re ready to take up the challenge, unlock the full game through an in-app purchase.
** IMPORTANT: ONCE PURCHASED, THE GAME CAN BE DELETED AND REINSTALLED FREELY ON ANY COMPATIBLE DEVICE REGISTERED TO YOUR ACCOUNT.
** Confirm that your device is compatible. This game is only compatible with 3rd and 4th generations of iPod touch (16/32/64GB) devices along with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and iPad. Before downloading, please check the back of your device to make sure that it meets the system requirements **
Welcome to planet Sinistral, where rare Xenodium crystals are coveted by a human mining conglomerate called the Consortium. However, they are not the only ones after the rare mineral. The Myriad, an indigenous race of aliens, is addicted to Xenodium and will do everything they can to prevent the Consortium from plundering their resources. To add to the chaos, a sentient robot race called the Wardens is trying to turn the war in their favor. Whose side will you choose?
With Starfront: Collision, choose from 3 unique but balanced races and deploy your strategy for victory in this battle. Each faction can construct 8 different buildings and over 10 destructive units to build up their base and mount an unstoppable assault on adversaries. Once you’ve mastered the solo campaign, put your skills to the test in exciting multiplayer battles.
THE DEEPEST, MOST BALANCED RTS GAMEPLAY ON iPHONE
• At last, an RTS with intuitive touch controls that give you total control over your forces.
• Hone your strategy with three different factions - The Consortium, Wardens and Myriad - each with unique tech trees and tactics.
• Complete 20 missions and create your own battles thanks to Skirmish mode.
• Gather resources to build 24 different buildings and recruit 30 different units, including one mega-unit for each faction.
A DEEP AND POLISHED SCI-FI UNIVERSE
• Wage war across five gorgeous environments: ice, badlands, a jungle, an underground reactor and a destroyed alien city.
• Discover the deep and engaging story of a war for resources, told throughout the solo campaign.
• Gaze upon top-notch 3D-rendered environments, buildings and units.
HIGHLY COMPETITIVE 4-P MULTIPLAYER MODE
• Confront your friends in epic and challenging Local and Online Multiplayer battles.
• Choose between 5 multiplayer maps, each corresponding to one of the 5 environments in the game.
• Enjoy unlimited replayability thanks to Multiplayer mode.
• Connect to Gameloft LIVE! 2.0 and compete to rule the leaderboards.
Follow Gameloft on Twitter to get more info about this game and all our upcoming titles at http://twitter.com/gameloft or read our official blog at http://blog.gameloft.com/