Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Review
- Art and audio kept intact.
- Simplified control scheme.
- Limited range d-pad.
- Serious performance issues on 3G and older iDevices.
Despite everything that made Sonic 2 the top selling game for the SEGA Genesis being left in this iPhone port, it just can't stack up to the original 20 year old console system that defined a generation of gamers.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
With Sonic the Hedgehog being on every electronic device that's in some way wired to the internet (and possibly on some varieties of toasters), it was only a matter of time before the sequel made its debut. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was a landmark title for the Genesis (or Mega Drive for those of you outside the US) that is still one of the consoles highest selling games.
Much like the port of Sonic the Hedgehog for the iPhone the controls are simplified with a virtual d-pad for movement and a single button to jump around. One of the key features of the original game was its smooth gameplay that responded perfectly to your every whim. Sadly the d-pad is limited in range, with movement stopping if you slide too far off the corner. If you can keep your finger in check, you'll hardly realize you're using virtual controls, but it only takes one mistake to remind you that this is not the game you remember from your childhood.
The game is perfectly ported to the iPhone with all of its 16-bit graphics and audio kept intact. For fans of the series, headphones are strongly recommended to properly enjoy the game's memorable soundtrack. There are some serious performance issues with the emulation for iDevices below the 3GS, but if you're tenacious enough the game is still playable albeit with a much lower framerate.
This is still the same game packed with speed, excitement and great gameplay that hooked a generation of gamers early in the 90s, but it's hard to forgive its shortcomings as a port.
DescriptionOne of the best selling SEGA games of all time - Sonic The Hedgehog 2 is now available for free on mobile! Rediscover SEGA’s super Sonic masterpiece!
Dr. Eggman is back to his old tricks, trying to find the seven Chaos Emeralds that will enable him to complete his ultimate weapon, the Death Egg. Only the triple threat of Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles can defeat him in this remaster from the team behind Sonic Mania!
Sonic The Hedgehog 2 joins the ever-increasing line-up of ‘SEGA Forever’, a treasure trove of free SEGA console classics brought to life on mobile for the first time!
- Twelve Badnik-infested zones to master, from underwater caverns to neon-lit casinos!
- Compete online, take on the Time Attack mode, and the all-new Boss Attack mode!
- Play the secret Hidden Palace Zone stage that didn't make it into the original release!
- Fight Dr. Eggman's creations, including the terrifying Mecha Sonic
- Obtain all the Chaos Emeralds to transform into Super Sonic and Super Knuckles!
MOBILE GAME FEATURES
- PLAY FREE with ad-support or ad-free via In-App Purchase
- SAVE YOUR GAMES – save your progress at any point in the game.
- LEADERBOARDS – compete with the world for high scores
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2 TRIVIA
- This is the most complete version of Sonic The Hedgehog 2 to date, complete with widescreen, 60FPS action, and a remastered soundtrack!
- This was the first Sonic game to feature the Spin Dash move
- The Master System version was the first game Tails appeared in, although he wasn’t playable!
- Unlike the Mega Drive/Genesis original, you can now fly as Tails!
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2 HISTORY
- The game was originally released worldwide in November 1992
- Original developer: Sonic Team & SEGA Technical Institute
- Designer: Hirokazu Yasuhara
- Lead Composer: Masato Nakamura
- - - - -
Game apps are ad-supported and no in-app purchases are required to progress; ad-free play option available with in-app purchase.
This game may include "Interest Based Ads" (please see http://www.sega.com/mprivacy#3IBADiscolure for more information) and may collect "Precise Location Data" (please see http://www.sega.com/mprivacy#5LocationDataDisclosure for more information).
© SEGA. All rights reserved. SEGA, the SEGA logo, SONIC and SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2, SEGA Forever and the SEGA Forever logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of SEGA Holdings Co., Ltd. or its affiliates.