Geometry Wars™: Touch Review
- Publisher: Activision Publishing, Inc.
- Genre: Arcade
- Released: 1 Apr, 2010
- Size: 41.5 MB
- Price: $0.99
- Vibrant classic neon eye-candy visuals.
- Thumping electro soundtrack.
- Gameplay that still defines the genre.
- Multiplayer modes galore.
- Controls reduce visibility.
- Highscores slow to update.
Geometry Wars: Touch is well worth grabbing for fans of the series, especially if you own an iPad, but reduced visibility can turn up the challenge meter earlier than you might be used to.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Plenty of other developers have taken a crack at trying to recapture the magic of Geometry Wars and some have certainly come close, but nothing quite manages to come close as the real thing. Now you can play it almost anywhere thanks to a recent update from Activision that added native support for the iPhone as well.
There are a couple options for controlling your ship, with the traditional twin-analogue setup being the most obvious addition along with the choice of using single-stick shoot and move controls for the left or right side of the screen. Triggering your bomb can also be set up in several ways, with double-tapping being the default and two other button based options also being available. All of the classic modes including popular variants like King, Pacisfism and Sequence are unlockable, while a unique iDevice exclusive mode (Titans) pits you against giant versions of various enemies.
Everything that you've come to expect of the franchise is bundled in to this release and its signature hyper-neon line art hasn't changed. There are a variety of hot electronic tracks to enjoy, but iTunes is supported as well. However, one frustrating aspect of playing the game on the smaller screen is the lost screen space from the use of your thumbs, making it easy to dive right in to an enemy you didn't see spawning.
Geometry Wars: Touch for the iPhone and iPad is a great, faithful adaption of the title and fans of the series and twin-stick shooters in general will not be disappointed.
DescriptionGeometry Wars™: Touch utilizes higher graphics and faster processing to enhance the game experience and immerse players deeper into non-stop shooter pandemonium. This is sure to be the must have game for the iPad.
In addition to the six original Geometry Wars gameplay modes: Deadline, King, Evolved, Pacifism, Waves and Sequence, Geometry Wars: Touch for iPad will feature a brand new, adrenaline-filled mode – Titans! – exclusively on the iPad.
The new mobile iPad platform provides Geometry Wars™ fans a versatile new way to annihilate enemy hordes and clear endless waves of attacks while they’re at home or on the go.
• Geometry Wars is one of the most successful live arcade games of all time.
• Geometry Wars Retro Evolved was the winner of “Best arcade game” and was “Overall game of the year”.
• GWRE is widely regarded as the game that kick started digital distribution on home consoles.
• The sequel, Geometry Wars Retro Evolved 2, broke sales records.
• GWRE2 received a 90% combined critic rating and is the highest rated live arcade game of all time.
• The game features short play sessions, between 5 and 10 minutes in length – perfect for on-the-go gaming.
• Geometry Wars is still one of the most acclaimed franchises, with a strong and passionate fan base.
***** CHECK OUT MORE GAMES FROM ACTIVISION! *****
Call of Duty: Zombies, Guitar Hero, Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 3D, Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 2, Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2, Cabela’s Dangerous Hunts, Rapala Pro Bass Fishing, Geometry Wars: Touch, and Pix Maze
What's New in Version 1.2.0• Official OS4 support – the game has been re-built on OS4
• Orientation fix – game now runs in all orientations.
• Improved messaging for leaderboards upon intial launch of the game.