Samurai II: Vengeance Review
- Fun beat'em-up action gameplay.
- Amazing graphical style with Retina optimizations.
- Classic samurai movie sound effects.
- Graphic visuals - not overly gory, but not for kiddies.
- Relatively short campaign.
Samurai II: Vengeance may have lost its unique touch controls, but its solid gameplay and amazing artistic style are almost second to none.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
For some the first Samurai title from MADFINGER was a smash hit, for others it was a resounding dull thud, but love it or loathe it their latest release Samurai II: Vengeance builds upon this scrolling beat'em-up and takes it to new heights.
The touch and swipe controls have been replaced with a much more familiar virtual stick and button system and players can combine short and long attacks to recreate the brutal combos from the original title. A dodge button gives your Samurai the ability to quickly blitz his way around the screen or otherwise break an enemy's defense, but smart targeting along with quick-steps can keep your character in the thick of the action without too much effort. As you initiate combos a small indicator will keep track of the buttons pressed, helping you to either break it off early or to switch to another combo smoothly.
The art style of Samurai II borders on some of the best artistic design work I've seen on the platform, with stunningly smooth 3D visuals on the Retina display that look like a living, breathing water-color painting. To compliment the artwork, MADFINGER have also included dynamic background music and sound effects that sound like they're straight out of a classic samurai film.
The biggest disappointment (and perhaps this is a compliment) is that the game feels far too short and should you get absorbed you'll be finished in a couple lengthy sessions. Still, as action titles go Samurai II: Vengeance is quick, dirty and fun to play even if it does leave you wanting for more.
DescriptionSamurai II: Vengeance enhanced MADFINGER Games 4th anniversary edition.
Madfinger game classic polished and ready to rumble.
-== Featured in the Gorgeous Games by Apple !!! ==-
-== "Samurai II is a very entertaining title with solid gameplay and stunning graphics." MacWorld.com ==-
The long-awaited sequel to Samurai: Way of the Warrior has finally arrived on iPhone and iPad! While the original got rave reviews for its stylized manga graphics and quick, bloody gameplay, Samurai II delivers even more action and an intuitive new control scheme.
SlideToPlay.com - 4/4
Ipadarena.com - 10/10
AppSpy.com - 5/5
MacWorld.com - 4.5/5
AppAdvice.com - 4.5/5
Gamezebo.com - 4.5/5
Touchreviews.net - 4.5/5
Nineoverten.com - 4.5/5
Gamerstemple.com - 90/100
Pixeljumpers.com - 9/10
Samurai: Way of the Warrior was featured in Best Games of 2009 by Apple – Samurai II is a true successor, aided by over a year of focused development. Overall production values and vicious action put Samurai II on par with console 3D brawlers. Screenshots don’t do Samurai II justice – the fluid action has to be seen running at 60 frames per second on the Retina display or popping off the iPad screen.
But looks alone won’t carry a game – the developers listened to fan feedback and improved gameplay throughout. With a new virtual d-pad, dynamic camera, environmental puzzles, traps, and vicious new enemies, Samurai II is brand new experience for hack ‘n’ slash gamers on the go.
Samurai II sends Daisuke on a quest for revenge across the war-scorched countryside. From a seafaring village to a flying fortress to the legendary Isle of the Dead, the samurai will stop at nothing to hunt down his arch-enemy Orochi. Will he get his Vengeance?
* Universal app - supports iPhone 3G/3GS/4/4S/5/S, iPod Touch 3G, and iPad/2/3/4/Air. The game is optimized to take advantage of each device's strengths.
* Intuitive virtual joystick ensures you’re slicing up baddies, not swiping the screen.
* Dynamic camera finds the best perspective for each encounter, adding variety while keeping focused on the action.
* Tense, quick and gory battle sequences!
- Battle hordes of on-screen enemies wielding new weapons and sporting unique abilities.
- Stay nimble and plan your attacks – roll out of harm’s way and eliminate ranged enemies like the Samurai Archer before they can strike.
* Improved gameplay includes new features.
- Solve environmental puzzles, avoid dangerous traps, and discover useful items.
- The fight is on - not to worry, the combat never takes a back seat to platforming or fetch-quests.
* RPG elements reward skilled players – upgrade the Samurai’s health, buy new attack combos and upgrade them to devastating levels.
* Between levels, gorgeous anime-style comic panels tell the samurai’s tale with original hand-drawn artwork.
* New survival mode pits the samurai against waves of enemies, giving hardcore players a score-attack mode to hone their skills. Two games in one!
* Runs at 60 frames per second on iPhone 4G and iPod 4G.
* Advanced AI system on par with console games. Goal Oriented Action Planning architecture is used in many PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 games.
* Samurai II is developed on the Unity 3D 4.2 engine, the latest technology available on mobile devices.
* Apple Game Center support, including Leaderboards and Achievements.
*Support iCloud to transfer save between various devices
*Support MFI Controllers ( Gamepads)
* Original soundtrack – in classic samurai movie style, soft music builds with the heat of battle.
Special Thanks To : ImNoSuperMan, PureSkill, Squarezero, Rocco, eggzbacon, Prab
What's New in Version 1.1.3improved quality
better performance on newest devices