Super QuickHook Review
- Smoother gameplay with less annoying roadblocks.
- Objective based level unlocks.
- Endless 'Avalanche' mode that's tailored to your skill level.
- Includes more rewards for exploration.
- Less off-the-cuff banter.
- '16-bit' style not as cohesive as the '8-bit' one.
Prepare yourself for another round of hook-swinging action as Super QuickHook manages to slightly improve on the original title while rewarding players for being even more obsessive than before.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Fans of Rocketcat Games will hardly need an introduction to 'Super QuickHook', the true sequel to their immensely popular dungeon-swinging platform title 'Hook Champ', however many small gameplay changes have resulted in this new title feeling more streamlined and remains as utterly addictive as the first title.
The basic controls have been left relatively untouched, with players using taps to aim and fire whip-like hooks to speedily swing through the various environments. Rocket Boots are available at the beginning of the game and give players the ability to jump up to areas that would otherwise take too much time to explore, while new items like the Slick Pants will automatically slide you along the ground for a short distance.
The new faux-'16 bit' look that has replaced the older '8-bit' one arguably lacks the simplistic charm that Hook Champ had, but it has allowed Rocketcat Games to flesh out the environments and backgrounds for more detail. Gameplay has shifted more towards an exploratory style, rewarding players for finding secret areas and the need for jump 'indicators' has been removed by clever level design that rarely punishes 'leap of faith' swings.
Some features like the amusing banter between characters has been shifted from levels to the store, making it harder to fall in love with this new protagonist. Super QuickHook is well worth checking out and fans of the series may take some adjusting, but the new experience is sure to win you over in the end.
WARNING: Looks like Avalanche Mode takes an unusually long time to start on iOS5. The screen will appear to go black for about 30 seconds before returning to normal. It's a strange bug. We're looking into fixes for this, we will post here when a patch is submitted!
http://bit.ly/quickhook for the trailer and quick links to the reviews! Loved by Toucharcade, SlidetoPlay, AppSpy, PocketGamer, Appsmile, iTunes Reviewers, TUAW, 148Apps, iLounge, GamePro, TheAppera, Gamezebo, Jayisgames, AppAdvice, the list goes on and on!
Conquer Eagle Mountain with the help of your trusty grappling hook. Swing and run your way through meadows, frost-tinged fields, ice caverns, volcanic caves, and more. Find secrets, loot, and special encounters. Race against your friends. Explore peaceful landscapes, or try to outrun an endless avalanche. QuickHook combines heavy replay value with deep variety!
Check out our youtube trailer, review links, and more at http://bit.ly/quickhook
HEAVY REPLAY VALUE
- Find loot to spend on character upgrades and equipment
- Unlock Nightmare levels, new equipment, and fancier hats
- Seamless Leaderboards and Stats / Medals for each level
- 66 different achievements, most of them based on exploring secrets
- Duel system: Ghost Race your friends!
- Random, infinite Avalanche Mode:
* Survive a roaring avalanche, right behind you, as long as you can.
* Over 60 different possible "sections", most with secret paths.
* Ghost race your friends to send them your personal Avalanche level!
- Varied landscapes
- Each level has its own challenges and art
- Secrets and Easter Eggs
- Character customization: Show off your gear!
- Free updates that add more achievements, secrets, and equipment
- Hand crafted race/exploration levels
* 24 levels with multiple paths and hidden areas!
What's New in Version 1.40-Added retina screen support for compatible devices! See the avalanche chase you in crystal clarity!
-Game should now run properly in the background on applicable devices.
-Updated OpenFeint version.
-Updated in-game news catalog.