Top Gun 2 Review
- Publisher: Paramount Digital Entertainment
- Genre: Arcade
- Released: 19 Aug, 2010
- Size: 215.2 MB
- Price: $1.99
- Afterburner-style gameplay.
- Two new jets to choose from.
- Unique power-ups and upgrades.
- No alternate or customizable control options.
Top Gun 2 had more than enough time to learn and grow after the first title, but the flashier visuals can't make up for a game that feels too loose to enjoy.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
The first title in the Top Gun series by Paramount Digital Entertainment was a fairly fun arcade shooter in the style of classics like Afterburner and while it had some issues it was certainly worthy of its franchise title. So it falls to the sequel to step up the game, adding new planes, new visuals and slightly tweaked gameplay, but with so many changes how much of the original fun action title is truly left?
Top Gun 2 has at least kept the basic Afterburner style of gameplay, with players tilting to move their chosen jet around the screen to dodge incoming fire and aim their cannons and missiles at enemy jets. Each of the three vehicles have unique temporary power-ups that amount to one defensive and one offensive choice and between missions you can upgrade the different weapons with any cash earned. Sadly there's still no sensitivity options to choose from, but the worst offender is the lack of inverted control options which can get frustrating if you're not a fan of the default setup.
The visual upgrades also seem to be overblown as well, with the only major improvement being visible in the user interface design and smoothing on the jet's model. The 'danger zone' warnings have also been removed, making it difficult to dodge incoming fire while dishing damage out in return.
Top Gun 2 just hasn't evolved enough since the last outing and while the gameplay elements are in place for a great action title it fails to execute and barely manages to stay on par with the original.
Description"Arcade style shooters are always great for holding gamers’ attention, and Top Gun 2 is certainly no exception to the rule. 4/5" iPhoneGamerBlog
“Top Gun 2 is a super fun game, offers plenty of value for the price, and a great game for both kids and adults. 4/5” Slap App
"If you like arcade-style airplane shooters and you want to relive the magic of the classic 80s film, then head to the App Store and grab Top Gun 2!" AppModo
"A quicker, more hectic on-rails shooter than the original." Pocket Gamer, winner of the Bronze Award.
"Top Gun 2 is definitely worth it!" Appadvice.com
“Top Gun 2 is a fun arcade-style shooter… a cheerful, aggressive shooter with plenty of thrills. Recommended.” IGN.com
Top Gun is back with more missions and more excitement! In this fast-paced air combat jet shooter, you must continue to make the world safe from encroaching Communist aggressors. The USS Enterprise has entered enemy waters to rid the area of hostiles, and it is up to you to contain the threat as you embark on a series of intense missions including…
• Search & Rescue - Iceman has been shot down behind enemy lines, and it’s up to you to get in there and save him
• Clear the Way - Destroy an enemy airfield for a recon mission
• Make the Skies Safe Again - Chase and destroy an enemy ICBM before it reaches the United States
• Bogies Everywhere – Battle jets, helicopters, tanks, and tough bosses
• And many more missions…
Top Gun 2 continues to push the envelope of action-based gameplay on the iPhone and iPod Touch, including:
• More Jets, More Weapons - Three state-of-the-art combat aircraft to choose from: the F-18 Hornet, the F-16 Fighting Falcon, and the F-14 Tomcat -- each with fully upgradeable cannon and missile systems. Each plane comes equipped with 2 unique special offensive and defensive capabilities, including the devastating Metal Storm, Missile Barrage and Smart Bomb attacks.
• Adrenalized Arcade Action - Dynamic level design that keeps players on the edge of their seats with surprise attacks and unique game-flow, enhanced AI capable of multiple attack patterns and evasive maneuvers, and blistering boss battles insure the fastest, most exciting jet fighting combat imaginable.
• Seven Unique Theaters of Operations - Air-to-air and air-to-ground combat against enemy armor, helicopters, and fighter jets over all types of terrain -- even outer space -- across 7 different arenas of battle.
• Break the Technology Barrier – Full-screen anti-aliasing, shader effects and enhanced specular and particle effects provide incredibly rich and exciting visual effects and deeply immersive environments.
• Powered by Daredevil Squadron - A raucous soundtrack by Brooklyn based rockers Daredevil Squadron as well as the all-time classic track "Danger Zone".
Continue to fight for freedom and be sure to own or rent the film at: