Puzzle Agent Review
- Great amusing adventure story.
- Plenty of additional puzzles for pedantic gamers.
- Hint system prevents complete dead-ends.
- Weird texture glitches.
- Wording on some logic puzzles not as clear as they should be.
Puzzle Agent is a interesting take on the puzzle-adventure genre that's happy to poke fun at the sheer oddity of a puzzle-obsessed town.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
We've seen puzzle-based adventure games before on the App Store and while many end up feeling like another twist on Professor Layton, Telltale Games' latest release 'Puzzle Agent' backs off on the brainteasers and focuses on the adventuring. Nelson Tethers, an FBI agent specializing in puzzle research has been sent out to solve a strange mystery in Scoggins, Minnesota; a place where everyone has a puzzle to solve.
Puzzle Agent is a fairly standard point-and-click adventure title, however pixel hunting for clues is made easier by the use of a 'sonar' that highlights useful interactions around the area you have touched. The puzzles are an interesting mix of classic standards and logic based puzzles, but poor or unclear wording on some of the puzzle descriptions and text regularly result in confusion, especially when you believe you have fulfilled all the logic requirements.
When not faced with a brain-tickling puzzler you're thrown in to the strange happenings of Scoggins, a town that has more than a inkling of that mysterious Twin Peaks other-worldliness about it. This is helped immensely by the appealing comic stylings of Graham Annable, but graphical glitches seem to plague the current release and the smooth looking textures from previews are nowhere to be seen.
However, despite some teething problems with the iPhone version, Puzzle Agent is a compelling and clever adventure escapade that shows all the hallmarks of Telltale Games clever storytelling and puzzle designs.
DescriptionE3 Best of Show! IGN and MSNBC.com
A Puzzling Adventure with a Twist!
When White House inquiries to the Scoggins Eraser Co. are answered only with curious puzzles, Nelson Tethers from the U.S. Department of Puzzle Research is sent on the case.
The strange events in Scoggins will challenge every ounce of Tethers’ expertise, and possibly his very wits too, with brainteasers at every turn: mazes, logic puzzles, riddles, and more. He soon realizes that these - along with the clinically pre-occupied townspeople, secret societies, and peculiar sounds from the forest - are intimately connected to the core mystery. And what's with the gnomes?
* Plentiful puzzles to challenge your neurons. See if you can find every puzzle to solve the mystery of Scoggins -- mazes, logic, riddles, brainteasers and more.
* Investigate the strange, peculiar and mind-boggling to crack the case! Your discoveries provide clues to the larger mystery crippling the town, or uncover puzzles that must be solved to reveal answers ... or even more questions.
* Hunting for Hints: Chewing gum helps Agent Tethers think and solve. Find and collect gum wads around the town to uncover hints if you get "stuck" in any puzzles.
* Creative collaboration with indie comic artist Graham Annable (Grickle comics and animated shorts)
MORE GREAT ADVENTURES BY TELLTALE GAMES:
Walking Dead: The Game
Jurassic Park: The Game
Back to the Future
Monkey Island Tales
Hector: Badge of Carnage
Sam & Max: The Penal Zone
Wallace & Gromit in The Last Resort
Gift this App: Click the arrow next to “Buy App” on the iTunes® App Store.
Never miss out on great deals, news and updates. Visit us at…
What's New in Version 1.2* Minor bug fixes
* Puzzle Agent now supports iOS 5
* When you download this update, your saved game will be preserved