NBA 2K12 for iPhone Review
- Accessible one-touch controls or solid, traditional virtual pad setup.
- Easy to modify rosters; keep teams up to date.
- 'Jordan Challenge' to really step up your game.
- Rough presentation; stadiums feel like an empty void.
- Camera positioning not always optimal; can be tweaked, but far from perfect.
NBA 2K12 steps up and represents for Basketball on the App Store with its smooth and accessible gameplay; to mangle a quote, it's not the game iOS gamers deserved, but it's definitely something they needed.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Barring the relatively recent addition of NBA JAM to iOS' roster of games, Basketball has been somewhat poorly represented on the App Store. Given that its only real competition is purely arcade-fodder, NBA 2K12 for iPhone by Take-Two and 2K Games doesn't need to do much to stand out and impress, but it has none-the-less managed to be more than a cash-in on this void.
As to be expected players can jump in and control any one of the 30 NBA teams on offer with their current roster and stats intact. Better still you can jump in to the skin of Michael Jordan in 'Jordan Challenge' mode to relive some of his career highlights (challenging you, in turn, to step up your game).
You have a choice of two control schemes to play with - either the more traditional virtual pad and three-button setup with actions changing whether you're on offense or defense, or a one-touch system designed for easy access. This mode essentially auto-pilots the gameplay, allowing you to pass/steal by tapping the respective player or making swiping gestures to jump or block as required.
There's not a lot on offer in the way of game modes with the usual mix of Quick Play, Season and Playoff modes common to annual sports titles.
Visually the game is a mixed-bag ranging from the utterly superb and smooth player animations, to downright shoddy as the cardboard audiences suck the life out of an otherwise aurally pumping stadium.
NBA 2K12 could have simply phoned-in its title and still managed to pull in a crowd, but thankfully it feels far more competent than this. With any luck other contenders will aim a little higher, but if you're a fan of Basketball this game will more than fill the void on your iDevice of choice.
DescriptionThe highest-rated NBA simulation 11 years running is now available on iOS for the first time ever. Built on the powerful and critically acclaimed NBA 2K engine, NBA 2K12 features stunning graphics and animations, as well as one-touch controls that are more comfortable on iOS and give players more control over their actions. Jump into a matchup featuring all 30 NBA teams in Quick Game, or go through the a full 82-game campaign in Season Mode.
NBA 2K12 also lets you relive 10 of Michael Jordan's most memorable moments in the "Jordan Challenge," including the infamous "Flu Game" and "Double Nickel" performances.
- Season Mode; Play through the entire NBA season and lift the trophy in June
- "Jordan Challenge": Relive 10 of Michael Jordan's most memorable moments
- Groundbreaking graphics and animations built on the acclaimed NBA 2K engine
- Move up the leaderboards and compare achievements with friends through Game Center
- TV-style presentation, including full commentary from Kevin Harlan and Clark Kellogg
- Updated Rosters - All transactions from the 2010-2011season have been incorporated, meaning you will be playing with current teams and ratings.
Visit http://www.2kgames.com/mobile/ for more great games.