Need for Speed™ Most Wanted Review
- Gorgeously detailed vehicles and stages; everything feels so sharply rendered that a single frame could cut you.
- Rock solid controls; whether you use the default tilt or optional touch controls, you'll navigate tracks like a pro.
- Utterly devoid of depth or meaningful content; new tracks feel much the same as the last ones, while the game modes offer little variety in gameplay.
- Origin platform limits crossover for high-score chasing.
The beauty is only skin deep in Need for Speed Most Wanted - sharp graphics and solid controls make it entertaining in short bursts, but those looking for a challenging ride and variety in their vehicles will be disappointed.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
If Electronic Arts is demonstrating anything with Need for Speed Most Wanted for the iOS platform, it's an interest in stripping back their racers to the core experience.
For some this may be an absolute boon - mobile platforms are often used in short bursts, so things like a story and too many fiddly customizations are simply a distraction compared to the main feast of burning rubber down city and country roads alike. Unfortunately Most Wanted goes even further than that and instead of creating a lean experience, the game tips in the wrong direction towards monotony.
That word is harsh and I should caveat the statement - Most Wanted is a drop-dead gorgeous racer for the iOS platform and one that handles almost flawlessly thanks to its reliance on the absolute minimum of controls needed to set up the action; namely tilt to turn; swipe to boost; and tapping the right or left side respectively to drift or brake. If all you want is a racer that jumps straight in to the action and looks pretty at the same time, this is for you.
However if you expect a bit more meat in your gameplay, you're going to be somewhat disappointed. Most of the basic race types are covered, though special races like 'On The Clock' and 'Hot Ride' prove to be rare gems to be treasured as the need to ride hard, fast, and with absolute precision adds some much needed tension to the races. For other modes, be it against a single opponent or many, the game becomes fairly staid as you bump and nudge your way up the pack with no regard to the penalties (of which there are very few), boosting as needed and filling it up again with horrendously easy to pull-off mega drifts.
Gorgeous though it may be, Need for Speed Most Wanted packs fewer features in to this release compared to previous outings, including the removal of vehicle customization (unless a paint job and temporary boosts float your boat), and no multiplayer option at all (though you can compete against the best times of friends on the Origin service).
Most Wanted gets all of the basic concepts right, but fails to follow through on any of them, ultimately making for a hollow racing experience. Earning new (and lovingly detailed) cars isn't so much an incentive as it is the only thing keeping the game from falling apart entirely.
DescriptionAPP STORE BEST OF 2012! Thanks to all our fans for making Most Wanted one of the year’s biggest hits.
"The street racer that iOS devices have been waiting for" (PocketGamer, 9/10 Gold Award)
“It pushes the mobile platform to its utmost limits and doesn’t even break a sweat” (Capsule Computers)
Buckle up, hit the gas and hold on tight; you’re in for the ride of your life. Outrun cops, outsmart rivals – and outdrive your friends – in the most dangerous Need for Speed yet. Do you dare to be the Most Wanted?
Note: Due to its revved-up graphics and gameplay, you’ll need 1.8GB of free space on your device in order to install this game.
MAKE TROUBLE, GET WANTED
Evade a relentless police force while you clash with street racers. Race and chase hot cars like the SRT Viper GTS, Porsche 911 Carrera S, Hummer H1 Alpha, and many more. Feel the intensity of no-brakes-allowed street racing with realistic full-car damage for the first time on mobile.
LEAVE YOUR MARK
Log into Origin to check the Wanted List and find out who is the Most Wanted across platforms and among your friends. Then, challenge your friends and prove your racing skills in nonstop competition.
GO FROM ZERO TO MOST WANTED…
• Choose and customize over 40 unique cars
• Race the way you want! By popular demand you can now touch or tilt to steer
• Use Mods to enhance your car and get ahead of the pack in style
• Experience the action with mind-blowing graphics and intense full-car damage
• Earn Speed Points to unlock new cars
Your rivals will do everything they can to stop you from getting to the top – but in this world, there can only be one Most Wanted.
What's New in Version 1.0.2UPDATE NOW FOR MORE CARS AND NEW EVENTS! Think you can handle even more trouble? Boost your car collection and your wanted level with some brand new rides that will help you move up the Most Wanted list.
• Start some trouble in 2 brand-new cars – the Marussia B2 and the Pagani Zonda R
• Test-drive your new wheels in 2 new Hot Rides Events
• Race NFS Edition cars like the Hummer H1 Alpha, the Pagani Huayra, and more! Each vehicle is only available for ONE week, so get ‘em fast or be left in their dust
• Collect as many new rides as you can to unlock brand-new milestones
We’ve also made some under-the-hood modifications to keep your game finely tuned and smoother than ever. Let us know if you like this update and we’ll keep you racing in high gear!