Sentinel 3: Homeworld Review
- Finely balanced gameplay; hinges on clever use of active abilities.
- Upgradeable Commander unit.
- Unlocked features carry through to earlier levels.
- Intense, heart-pumping visuals and soundtrack.
- Touchy tower selection for upgrades.
- Initial viewing of maps can be confusing.
With constant rewards and a tidy campaign, Sentinel 3: Homeworld keeps tower defense fans busy without becoming monotonous even once you've finished the main story.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Sentinel 3: Homeworld by Origin8 is a powerful new entry in to the 'Sentinel' series of tower defense titles and not only does it demonstrate a level of visual polish that's stunning, it shows a cunning amount of gameplay depth as players slowly work their way through a challenging campaign.
Homeworld fits in to the classic style of tower defense games, with towers being locked in to fixed positions around the winding paths that the enemy creeps follow. There's a strong focus on minimalism, with tower upgrades providing benefits that scale very well, allowing you to focus on other elements like managing active abilities for your Commander unit and orbital weaponry to compliment your defenses. As you progress through the campaign you'll need to unlock additional abilities, tower slots and orbital weapons purchased with cash earned after each level. Your Commander also acts as a reinforcing unit, able to jump between 'barriers' to provide assistance in the form of additional firepower and damaging attacks.
It's a delicate balance that occasionally results in requiring a replay to level up your Commander or to purchase a new slot, but once these upgrades are made available you can bump up the difficulty on earlier levels to make the process easier and more exciting. Homeworld's visuals are also simply amazing and while it can be hard to see the visual separation between available terrain and the creep path, the game doesn't suffer at all for this confusion and runs flawlessly even with its many special effects.
The fun doesn't end once you're done with the main campaign either as the leaderboards cleverly provide the tower layouts for high-scoring players, giving you a chance to easily match their score or even improve on it in the process. Sentinel 3: Homeworld is an amazingly adept and polished tower defense title; those already tired of the genre may still get a kick out of something this well designed and fans should definitely add this to their collection.
DescriptionThe biggest instalment of the highly acclaimed Sentinel sci-fi tower defense series!
* Metacritic Metascore: 87!
* WINNER: Best App Ever Awards 2010 Best iPad Strategy Game!
* GOLD AWARD Winner: PocketGamer!
* 2nd Place: Best App Ever Awards 2010 Best iPhone Strategy Game!
* Pocket Gamer's Top 10 iPhone games 2010!
* iPhone Quality Index Top 10 iPhone games 2010!
* Know Your Mobile's Top 10 smartphone games 2010!
***** Look out for SENTINEL 4: DARK STAR, now in development! *****
Take the fight to the alien homeworld and unleash a massive arsenal of weaponry!
* UNIVERSAL build - play on ALL iPhones, iPod Touches & iPads!
* A challenging campaign featuring 20 levels across 14 distinctive & demanding maps!
* A powerful commander mech which can level up and gain new abilities as you play!
* Over 20 unlockable turrets, orbital ship weapons, automated drones and abilities at your disposal!
* IAP offers a new 15 level campaign, new commander, new weapons, new enemies and more!
* Customize your weapon loadout in the Armory to match the demands of the mission!
* Stunning graphics & fx - with full high-resolution Retina Display support!
* Endless modes for all maps with online highscores.
* Classic mode allows you to compete for scores in a pure skill-based game mode.
* Game Center integrated for achievements & score leaderboards!
* Exclusive music by the creators of the Sentinel 2 music - Specimen A.
* Completely reworked and revamped game engine.
Good luck, Commander!
pocketgamer.co.uk - GOLD AWARD
"A game of immense quality, Sentinel 3: Homeworld represents the best of the tower defence genre with both depth and immediate action."
Featured in PocketGamer's Top 10 iPhone Games Of 2010!
"The Tower Defense Game that all TD games will now be measured by."
VIDEO & MORE INFO
** Look out for SENTINEL 4: DARK STAR, coming early 2013! **
What's New in Version 2.0.1- Fix for retina iPads, the size of the display is now back to normal.
- Look out for Sentinel 4: Dark Star coming 2013!