Space Harvest Review
- Solid RTS features; mass unit selection, rally points, etc.
- Semi-intelligent AI; constantly corrects positioning/pathing.
- Beautiful visual design despite small file size.
- No saved groups; unable to quickly select units while in another area.
- No mini-map or similar feature.
- Lengthy gameplay with no save/check points.
Space Harvest doesn't revolutionize the RTS for iOS devices, but for such a small size it packs a hell of a punch with its solid mechanics and beautiful design.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
It's best that you don't concentrate too hard on the story in Space Harvest by All-Seeing Interactive as it's liable to make your head hurt. Lets be honest, all I need to know in a real-time strategy (RTS) is what I need to harvest and who's trying to steal it from me - the rest is fluff to justify having crazy technology!
So while you're sending off your harvesters to collect precious, precious mushrooms (don't ask) you'll need to amass a killer army of units to steamroll your way through the enemies base. Traditional RTS titles are in short order on the App Store and not without good reason either as creating an efficient control system to manage your base and units is extremely difficult with a touch interface. Space Harvest opts for a few shortcuts that are easy to learn, with taps to select units/buildings and to issue orders; double-taps to select similar units or to enter see a building's available options; and a drag-select system to group units in mass amounts. Additional interface elements like a unit counter provide advanced options (including the ability to 'hold' positions) and buildings can be dropped anywhere on the map as long as you have the cash and energy to power them.
All of this takes place in a bizarre and beautiful pixel-art inspired world filled with strange and colorful environments and easy to recognize units that behave with surprising intelligence despite the limitations of the blocky visuals.
Unfortunately a lot of the joy of playing Space Harvest is let down by something as simple as the lack of any ability to save your progress; each level can take a long time to complete if you're not already familiar with the layout of the map, making restarts an all-too familiar situation.
For a game that can be downloaded via 3G, Space Harvest is surprisingly deep and it's easy to forgive some of its shortcomings given the complexity of the game that's presented, but this is definitely one for fans of RTS games as it's a little too unforgiving for casual audiences to enjoy.
DescriptionCrazy retro real-time strategy, now even better on iPad!
From the App Store reviews:
"Best RTS on iPod - After being disappointed with many rts games on the iPod, this game finally did things right."
"One of the most awesome RTS games"
"Fun RTS...Don't think about buying it - BUY IT! Its Excellent!"
"Fantastic RTS Game...They really packed a full RTS with a cool style into a little app"
"If you like RTS games and you're looking for visual candy, this game satisfies both."
"...packs a hell of a punch with its solid mechanics and beautiful design" - AppSpy 4/5
PocketGamer - 7 / 10
The year is 2314. When a tiny asteroid falls to earth in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, it brings with it a MYSTERIOUS ALIEN VIRUS. Over the next few months, farmers and scientists around the world begin to notice a curious phenomenon - mushrooms are turning black, and dying!
As world mushroom stocks run low, stock markets plummet, and governments appeal for calm as protests become riots.
Now, a cabal of the world's most powerful restaurateurs meet in secret. Their goal - to create a private space programme to seek out new supplies of mushrooms, wherever they may be found!
* Make your fortune at the edge of the galaxy!
* Explore uncharted asteroids with oddly geometric shapes!
* Investigate strange volcanic activity and harness the power of huge mutant mushrooms!
* Invest in the latest space-age technology, including Energy Saving Lightbulbs and the GIANT SPACE DEATH LASER!
* Compete against 5 bonkers opponents!
* Fun retro graphics!
* Awesome positional sound effects!
* 9 fun (but challenging) maps!
What's New in Version 1.1.3- Fixed graphical glitches and significantly improved display quality on iPad
- Updated for iOS4
- Harvesters can now be ordered to harvest from a different area even if they are already harvesting
- Bats will abort landing if their spaceport is destroyed
- Levels 1-4 are now unlocked by default
- Minor performance enhancements
- Added Appirater ratings dialog
- Added PlayHaven support