- Publisher: Carried Away Games
- Genre: Entertainment
- Released: 13 Nov, 2010
- Size: 15.3 MB
- Price: $0.99
- Extremely simple to pick up and play.
- Great background artwork.
- Luck plays too much of a role to be satisfying.
- No ability to speed up the level.
Zapples is an interesting title, though it lacks any true satisfaction as a puzzler as you're bound to chance as much as skill when attempting to clear a level.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
In Zapples by Carried Away Games your goal is to clear the screen of as many orbs as possible by setting off a chain reaction with a single touch, zapping the orbs and holding them in place while the others continue to bounce around.
It's a formula that has been seen before in games like Sneezies and Splode, though instead of the chain reaction being set off by orbs being flung around the screen, Zapples are held in place by the electric shock they're given. Once caught they'll become electrified and eventually explode and with good timing and placement you can create a broad 'net' to catch the remaining orbs on screen. Earlier levels are much more lenient in their requirements, but even though the number or Zapples increases in later stages, the ratio of those required to be caught also significantly increases to make the game significantly harder.
As you move between levels the background slowly changes, panning across a changing landscape and adding various obstacles for the Zapples to bounce off. This adds a further unpredictable element to the game as the speed and angle at which they bounce off these surfaces can be hard to judge and attempting to find an optimal timing and position for your electric burst can feel like blind luck.
In addition to the basic gameplay, players can attempt to acquire 'stars', awarded for completing a set of levels and reaching higher scores. It's a modicum of replay value, but Zapples lacks the same charm of other similar titles and it's a hard game to finish, let alone one you'd want to perfect.
DescriptionA peaceful and tranquil realm has been invaded by a contagion never before seen by the likes of any living creature. They invade our senses, envelop our dreams, and are nerve racking to say the least. Please help our realm and zap these vile creatures with your powerful touch...only you can save us from...Zapples!
* Use your magical touch to electrify different types of Zapples creating a chain reaction where in your goal is to zap them all! With each new Zapple added to the chain your score bounds higher and higher.
* Progress through the realm eradicating the Zapples encountering more and more Zapples in higher numbers as they also progressively get trickier to zap!
* Earn hidden stars by gaining only the highest of scores and tackle the art of the zap chain!
* Leaderboards are available for every level through OpenFeint...can you become the biggest, baddest, champion of Zapples in all the land?
* Contains 48 stages across six unique realms and is free of advertisements.