Max Adventure Review
- Fun story.
- Familiar twin-stick controls.
- Large and vibrantly colorful 3D environments.
- Clever power-up mixing system.
- Levels completely reset on death.
- AI for children following Max can get stuck.
Max Adventure is a welcome relief from regular twin-stick titles as it incorporates a fun, if simple story with objectives that keep you busy right through to the end.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
With the adults of the world all sucked up in to alien spacecrafts and nothing but an ocean of moxie and a discarded ray-gun, Max is left to save the kids of the neighborhood (and maybe even the world) in Max Adventure by Imangi Studios.
Those familiar with twin-stick shooters will be able to jump right in and dispense justice to the invading hordes by using the usual setup of one stick for movement and one stick to shoot in any given direction. Power-ups can be collected for temporary bonuses, though once you open up the game's shop you'll be able to purchase permanent upgrades that can be combined to produce new effects for your weapon. The aim in most levels is to rescue the children of each maze-like neighborhood, collecting keys to open new paths, however this is occasionally mixed up with boss-fights or hunt and kill missions to provide some variety.
The bright and colorful 3D world of Max Adventure is almost a childish reflection of how a 10 year old might try to view such hideous creatures, keeping the game lighthearted and easy to follow despite the rather large areas you'll fight in. However, should you die, you'll have to restart the level in its entirety, which can be annoying, but once you're rolling in power-ups it becomes a relatively rare problem to encounter.
The variety and story of Max Adventure gives the overplayed twin-stick mechanic a new spark of life and while it may not become a lasting favorite it's still a great title to pick up and complete. Recommended for casual gamers, younger gamers and gamers after something short and sweet to keep them entertained.
DescriptionEarth has been invaded.
All the adults have been captured.
The fate of the planet depends on you.
Can you save the world?
Battle the alien horde, navigate through maze-like neighborhoods, save your friends, and send the aliens back where they came from. And maybe even answer your burning questions. What are these aliens doing here? Will a colander keep your thoughts safe? Why is the alien overlord always wearing a tie? And what in the world do they want with your parents?
Let’s hope your years of fighting imaginary enemies in your backyard have prepared you for Armageddon!
* Story mode with hours of gameplay, taking you from the suburbs to farmland to the alien mother ship as Max searches for his parents
*Survival mode for endless adventure
* Huge levels to explore with many hidden areas
* Varied mission types - battle off the aliens, save your friends, lead your friends to safety, fight mega bosses, explore mazes, and more!
* Tons of enemy types to battle
* Collect money to upgrade your weapons and skills
* Game Center high scores and achievements
* Retina Display support
* Universal iPad and iPhone support
"Refreshingly Fun" - TouchArcade.com
"Will have you hooked from the very beginning… Best dual stick shooter and adventure game in the App Store. " - AppAdvice.com
"A fricking awesome game. You took the dual-stick shooter and made it interesting and deep. One of the best games for the iOS." - Poutini, TouchArcade Forums
"You can go buy a cheeseburger and get fat for $1. Or you can buy an awesome game with tons of gameplay for the same price." - iStephen, TouchArcade forums
What's New in Version 1.2- New survival level - The Arena! The toughest survival level yet!
- Added confirmation popup when exiting level before finishing to make sure you don't lose your progress
- Lots of performance improvements
- A few bug fixes