Air Force vs Luftwaffe Review
- Tight tilt controls; responsive, natural physics makes it easy to play.
- Unlockable classic planes.
- Randomly generated levels based on personal preferences.
- 'Kids' mode; friendlier gameplay for younger gamers.
- Rough visual design; poor menu design, odd graphic glitches like upside-down planes.
- Serious progression glitch; forced to restart the campaign a couple times.
Air Force vs Luftwaffe tries to push side-scrolling dogfighter in a new direction, adding a bit more realism in to the proceedings, but its rough execution makes it hard to enjoy for long.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Although we've been here before, side-scrolling dogfighting sims aren't exactly floating around in a huge supply and while games like MiniSquadron ruled the roost in the past, Air Force vs Luftwaffe by Bitmen Studios tries to help the genre grow-up.
Injecting a bit of realism in to the proceedings helps immensely as each plane smoothly tumbles and turns its way around the screen, responding to the tilt and touch controls crisply. Acceleration is also affected by gravity, causing planes to stall if they pull up too high, while giving a speed boost to those diving towards the ground. Buttons scattered around the screen provide access to your weaponry including a slow-firing machine-gun, unguided missiles, bombs as well an evasive dodge that also acts as a kind of air-brake, giving you a chance to maneuver larger planes with greater effectiveness.
Diving in to the Allied or Axis campaign allows players to slowly unlock additional planes while upgrading those they have available, with missions varying from simply defending from fighters to performing bombing runs against enemy targets. Unfortunately there's not enough real variation to keep things compelling enough to stick around. The AI manages to get smarter without simply cheating, but ultimately, regardless of where you are the challenge remains the same: stay alive while shooting down your enemies. The numbers may change, but it's hard to stay motivated after a while.
Air Force vs Luftwaffe isn't without its charms though and it's great to see developers considering broader audiences, including a 'kid' mode that removes some of the realism in favor of enjoying the game directly and a 'practice' mode that generates levels randomly based on parameters set by the player adding a replay value that's hard to beat.
Sadly Air Force vs Luftwaffe is more than simply rough around the edges, making it hard to recommend to all but those pining for something new in the dogfighting scene.
DescriptionFast-paced World War II Airplane Dogfights with custom physics engine and 16 different airplanes.
The top ranked iPad game currently featured by Apple, now also available for iPhone/iPod touch!
"Air Force vs Luftwaffe straddles the fine balance between feeling authentically realistic and being a heck of a lot of fun to play."
"It’s certainly pleasing to see this mix of real-life aircraft and scenarios alongside a more arcade-like gameplay style."
"If you enjoy games that are fast-paced and involve multitasking, this game may be a perfect addition to your game collection."
"Injecting a bit of realism in to the proceedings helps immensely as each plane smoothly tumbles and turns its way around the screen, responding to the tilt and touch controls crisply."
"You can’t understand how fun it is to play this game until you actually play it."
Editor's Review Rating: Excellent
Join the British Royal/US Air Force or German Luftwaffe/Italian Regia Aeronautica in a fight for air superiority.
Gain ranks, unlock more planes and command a whole customizable squadron of fighters.
Upgrade the individual planes in your squadron and lead them to victory!
Can you handle the intense dogfighting action and outmanoeuvre the enemy to achieve victory?
Are you ready to command a fighter squadron and constantly improve your dogfighting skills?
Come and see the next generation of action games.
* Play missions as either Allies or Axis: experience intense dogfighting action, intercept enemy bombers, escort allied formations, do bombing runs on key ground targets, sink enemy ships, provide fighter cover for your ground forces and much more.
* Play the campaign mode: gain experience points by completing missions, climb up in ranks and unlock all 12 fighter planes as well as countless upgrades. Do not fight alone; command a growing squadron to accompany and support you in defeating the enemy.
* Play the survival mode, beat waves of enemy airplanes and rule the survival leaderboard.
- Stunning realistic graphics and animations.
- Airplane movement is directed by physics engine providing an enjoyable and challenging flight experience.
- Customizable controls (adjustable tilt controls or on-screen buttons).
- Perform loopings, swoops and out-of-plane maneuvers to outmanoeuvre your opponents.
- Easy to handle, difficult to master.
- Sophisticated airplane AI for allied and enemy pilots.
- Complete action-packed missions on a variety of scenes ranging from the North African Campaign to the Battle of Britain.
- Play the endless mode and get #1 on the GameCenter Leaderboards.
- Features 16 different realistic airplane models from World War II including Hawker Hurricane, Supermarine Spitfire, P-47 Thunderbolt, P-51 Mustang, F4U Corsair, Me Bf109, Focke Wulf 190a, Me Bf110, Ju-87 Stuka, Ju-88, B-17 Flying Fortress, and many more.
Also available for iPad.
What's New in Version 1.2Retina & iPhone 5 support