Crazy Hedgy Review
- Constant clever additions to the level design bring many fun situations.
- Once you start to get rolling, things can flow well.
- The enemy behavior is a highlight.
- The controls while competent don't carry the feel one would expect from a rolling game.
- The punch attack has a marginal success rate.
A fun rolling platform with a lot to offer, that is somewhat marred by its control scheme.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
A game based on rolling movement in which you play a hedgehog collecting shiny objects. Hmm. At least the hedgehog's not blue right? It's been a while since we here at AppSpy have played a rolling game controlled by tilting your iPhone. There's a tad more to it than just rolling however.
The goal of each level is to reach the end, with bonuses if you satisfy a gem quota. The gems themselves, which are strewn around the level, are hidden in boxes and are held by enemies. They are the game's currency and of course there is a store where they can be bartered for upgrades to Hedgy's abilities. Some of these upgrades have to be unlocked by collecting enough of the three coins also hidden in each level so there is an element of searching and hoarding at the heart of the game, although it never feels like it goes into full collect-a-thon mode.
Hedgy spends the levels rolling around with a tilt of your phone. The screen is cut in half with tapping one side allowing Hedgy to jump and the other having him punch. Further abilities like picking up boxes can be accomplished with a swipe downwards, and some abilities such as hovering on your bubble gum are context sensitive. Some of the controls work better than others. The punching feels like it's linked to a dice roll for the hit to connect, and the rolling while nuanced doesn't quite feel like it should. There seems to be no real sense of acceleration or deceleration, more like you're able to stop on a dime, and when you do get rolling in those stretches of the level that allow it, while it's fun rolling along thin ledges unhindered, an element of increasing speed would make the experience more enjoyable (but perhaps we're too used to rolling games like Super Monkey Ball).
Despite these issues, the game does feature some well designed levels. There are quick time events that keep you on your toes, sections with trampolines hurtling you through the air, and a lot of the fights take place around plenty of traps, so dispatching your enemies is always amusing. There's always something new to do, and this should amuse younger players and fans of 3d platformers. It just feels like this could have been more.
DescriptionAn outstanding 3D Jump 'n' Run Action Adventure. Check out the iOS original!!!
Best Game 2012 - Content Award
Gaming App of the day - Gizmodo
Mobile Game of the Week - Paste Magazine
TOUCH ARCADE GAME OF THE WEEK - toucharcade.com
Game for the weekend - Gigaom.com
App of the Week Award - fun2tap
MAX SCORE 10/10 - app-score.com
Seal Of Approval 5/5 - iphonegameruk
Editor's Choice Award - 148apps.com
Editor's Choice Award - apptudes.com
Must-Have-Award - ireviewt.com
Must-Have-Award - iplayapps.de
Silver Award - pocketgamer.co.uk
3/4 - slidetoplay
80/100 - 4players.de
featured by Apple in "new and noteworthy" worldwide
featured on the App Store "Best Platformers"
"You are not going to want to put it down once you have started." - appasnap.com
"Super Mario from Austria" - derstandard.at
"Super Mario was yesterday - here comes the platform hero of the new century" - bzberlin
"Just when you think you have the measure of the proceedings, it lobs in a fresh surprise… your eyebrows will be raised as you experience one quirky feature after another." - Gizmodo
"Crazy Hedgy is a must buy for fans of 3D platformers, action games, or fans of console quality experiences on the iOS devices." - examiner.com
"Crazy Hedgy is console quality, but uses iOS features to maximum advantage making for a distinct gaming experience… If putting that shiny new iPad or iPhone to great gaming use is the journey, Crazy Hedgy is the destination." - 148apps.com
"…well-designed levels, beautiful graphics, and tons of replay value...Crazy Hedgy’s features are endless…" - apptudes.com
"…Defeating enemies is completely satisfying and the game’s humour can be seen when two enemies bump into each other… I found no negatives in this game. I cannot stress how much I am enjoying Crazy Hedgy." - app-score.com
"…with Crazy Hedgy we present you the new king of the genre on the App Store." ireviewt.com
THE ADVENTURES OF CRAZY HEDGY
Take yourself on a wild journey and experience the adventures of Crazy Hedgy! Use your bubble gum to cross yawning abysses, solve riddles, find buried treasures, collect diamonds and learn fantastic new abilities…but don’t let the Spankos get you down!
Look out, somethin‘ is just not right in Green Hedges anymore...
INTUITIVE TOUCH CONTROL
Jumping, capturing, bashing, direction-controlled punching and shooting – and all with a simple swipe of your finger!
- level of detail engine - from 3GS to iPhone 5 / iPad 4th gen and full retina display support with special vfx
- more than 10 hours of action-packed fun in 35+ levels
- dynamic 3D world
- action-filled punch-ups against fun characters
- complex enemy AI, with a strong dash of humor
- boss fights
- real physics
- lots integrated in game specials (response-, dexterity- , speed up- and tilt passages)
- mini games
- solve 38 achievements and multiply your score
- friends highscore table to compete and challenge with Game Center friends
- challenge and compete with your Game Center friends inside the game and get rewarded for victories
- learn the latest assault techniques, like Grab Attack, Slide Attack, Upper Cut and Power Slam
- magnets help you collect more diamonds
- get new features through various helmet upgrades
- turn your bubble gum into ballistics
- a variety of boxing gloves put power in your punch
- many other cool items
- iPhone 5, iPad mini and iPad 4th gen optimized graphic engine
- iOS 6 support
- retina display support
- iCloud support
- Game Center highscore table
- Game Center achievements
- Game Center challenges