Skycat and the starchildren Review
- Time-trial based runner gameplay.
- Unique teleport mechanic to speed up and jump with accuracy.
- 18 currently available levels to compete in.
- Level designs can cause some confusion at high speeds.
- Teleport controls can take some time to master.
'Skycat and the starchildren' doesn't revolutionize the runner mechanic, but the compact levels and focus on high-speeds with low times makes it a fun game to keep coming back to.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
If you haven't experienced an endless runner of some variety by now, then I'd be quite surprised as you almost can't fall over for the lack of one attempt or another at the gameplay mechanic. 'Skycat and the starchildren' by Frostware takes the idea and instead of one large endless level you'll play through a series of pint-sized time-trials to test your skills with the game's controls and to rescue Skycat's hapless friend, Fatcat.
Holding down the jump button for an extended period will increase the height of your jump, which is nothing terribly new for these games, however swiping your finger across the screen will cause Skycat to perform a small teleporting jump, speeding you up and giving you a new way to maneuver your way around the game's various platforms. The ultimate aim is to get through each level as quickly as possible, so teleporting your way forwards can help immensely, while collecting stars and 'Starchildren' will also result in your time being reduced. There are several additional handy uses for the teleport, including forcing Skycat to land so you can jump to a further platform, however at times you can be left hanging above areas in such a way that you can only but pray that there's something to land on soon.
The visual style is immensely cute, with players traveling through ancient ruins, the bones of a giant and an alien space station. Some of these level designs can obscure the platforms you're attempting to land on, making some leaps utterly scary to deal with, however given how short the levels are it's only a matter of time before you finish them all. While the story mode only features nine levels to complete, the unlockable time-trial mode has an additional nine levels to compete in, giving you more levels to test out your skills.
By now, players have a veritable 'pick of the litter' with regards to runner titles, but if you're after something a bit cuter than the average lot and perhaps a bit more challenging, then 'Skycat and the starchildren' might just be for you.
Description"The platforming in Skycat and The Starchildren is fantastic" -TouchArcade
"Skycat turns the endless running genre on its head by giving it an ending." -SlideToPlay
Skycat and the starchildren is a FAST-PACED, CONSTANT-RUNNING platform game, where YOU take the role as Skycat on his mission to save his dear friend Fatcat from certain DOOM. Unlock THREE unique worlds with a total of EIGHTEEN levels in story-mode or compete against your friends for the BEST TIMES in time-trial mode.
- Charming cartoon graphics with smooth character animations
- Storybook-like intro and ending
- A total of 18 levels
- 3 worlds with unique graphical themes and music
- Ranking system with Gold/Silver/Bronze for each level
- Multiple paths through each level
- Score sharing through Facebook
- Leaderboards supported by Game Center
follow us on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frostware/156553027706677
and twitter: http://twitter.com/FrostwareAB
*** IMPORTANT: please read the following if you are having trouble with the game ***
- Skycat and the starchildren is only compatible with third and fourth generation devices. This means iPod Touch 3:rd generation, iPod Touch 4:th generation, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 and the iPad.
-The 8GB version of the iPod Touch that was released with the 3:rd generation iPod Touch devices is actually 2:nd generation and will therefore not work.
- If you have any problems with the game, don't hesitate to write on our forum: http://www.frostware.se/forum/ or send us a mail at email@example.com
What's New in Version 1.2*Improved in game graphics on Retina Devices
*Simplified menu selection