Warm Gun Review
- Cool semi-apocalyptic setting; Fallout meets Borderlands.
- Level designs well-suited to multiplayer matches; resource management as well as triggered 'traps'.
- Inconsistent performance; gameplay swings from unplayably slow to buttery-smooth.
- Available classes lack the snap of variety.
Ultimately Warm Gun is a basic deathmatch title, albeit a very pretty one. Sadly this doesn't save it from quirky performance issues and a lack of variety further limited by 4-player limited maps.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
I can almost hear my own Mom scalding me in my own memories as I play Warm Gun by Emotional Robots. Though scarily it's not actually her voice, but my own saying 'Just because you can, doesn't mean you should'. It's a worrying moment, but the point still remains - it's true that the iPhone is slowly claiming territory once thought of as exclusive to dedicated handheld or even home consoles, but a bland and featureless FPS deathmatch game does nothing to move iOS forward in this direction.
Indeed the only options you'll be presented with when playing Warm Gun is whether you want to play offline against bots or online against human opponents (and bots). Upon logging in with your Gamespy account (yes, they still exist - mine has served me since the 90s) you can jump in to any one of the available servers (hopefully populated with players) and duke it out FPS-style to see who's twitch skills serve them best.
There are several control options, mostly varied based on how many virtual sticks you choose to use (usually one for movement, one for looking around and a third to shoot). Individual functions can be collapsed in to the other virtual sticks or other control schemes (twin-stick for instance uses movement, firing and swiping to look around).
Disappointingly you won't find much variety in the four available characters on offer despite their wildly different appearances. While each weapon in the game feels a little different, the limitation of three weapons (often melee, ranged and explosive) can be repetitive and in the case of the Preacher a tad overpowered as he picks players off at range with ease.
This is only disappointing because the maps themselves are the true highlight of the game, not simply for their slick visual design, but rather the clever way they've been balanced for competitive play. Ramps, various vantage points, open areas with power-ups (currently only healing) and the occasional trap or two spice up the relatively small maps to keep the action flowing at all times.
Lastly a special note needs to be made of the performance of Warm Gun - the visuals clearly come at a price and that price is performance. This can range from unbelievably smooth (especially with a solid ping and a recently rebooted iDevice) to unplayable and unstable as pings drop below 200ms or if you've been otherwise busy with your iDevice ahead of loading up the game.
Warm Gun is, if nothing else, a strong base for an excellent online shooter, but it fails to take advantage of its features (classes play directly towards team-based modes for instance) and instead settles for a generic multiplayer experience. Worth a shot if you fancy yourself a bit of a dead-eye in first-person shooters.
Description"Warm Gun will pull your eyeballs out of your head at first glance." - TouchArcade
"Something totally different and off the charts." - PocketFullOfApps
"So far we can't find anything we don't like about this package..." - Mac Life
"Warm Gun is like Borderlands and Team Fortress had a baby" - Destructoid
"It is like having your gaming PC in your pocket when you play it." - JohnsiPhone
World War III has been fought to the tipping point and ecologists long unheeded cries have been silenced by the grim truth of their predictions. To the last drop of oil have the worlds resources been depleted, and only sporadic traces of modern structure can be sifted in the dust. Time ticks forward, but humans must retrace their advancement back; through a history that has already been lived and to the Wild West for the second time. We have trampled ahead to the past in muddy boots, to the United States of late 19th century.
This spun western lets you take control of 4 original characters; choose from weapons new and strange and a wider range of modern contraptions with primitive power. Classic and innovative, undoubtedly original, every FPS player will find satisfaction with Warm Gun.
*** WARM GUN RUNS ON 3GS AND HIGHER ***
*** GAMESPY MULTIPLAYER SERVICE HAS BEEN REMOVED ***
*** GAMECENTER HAS BEEN ENABLED ***
*** LOCK N LOAD ***
✠ WELCOME TO THE NEW WEST ✠
- Welcome to the world of Warm Gun, the 2nd coming of the Wild West. A post-apocalyptic romp through the ravaged "Divided States of America"!
- Warm Gun iOS is a free form FPS (this game ain't got no rails!) where you, the player, must fight for survival!
- Easy to learn, hard to master - Do you have what it takes?
✠ MASTER YER GUNNER ✠
Warm Gun features 4 distinct character classes, each with his own attributes and weapons!
- The Preacher: Dual wielding, pistol toting gunslinger who can hold his own in any battle.
-The 49er: Boom! This old gunner still packs a punch with his heavy shotgun and trusty revolver.
-The Shaman: Deadly at any range, this Shaman wields unholy power from the past!
-The Blacksmith: His tank-like presence is enough to shake yer boots off! Mowing enemies down with his Stampeder is all in a day's work.
✠ AMAZING POST-APOCALYPTIC ENVIRONMENTS ✠
- Unique 3D environments powered by the award-winning Unreal Engine 3 send players on-site to one of five spectacular post-apocalyptic locations!
✠ TRAPS, TRIGGERS AND PLANES, OH MY! ✠
- Warm Gun is jammed packed with traps, triggers, and events. Players can utilize a number of killer traps to dominate your enemies. Exploding TNT barrels, Falling Cars and Sewer Land Mines to name just a few!
✠ GUNS APLENTY! ✠
Each Gunner comes Equipped with three devastating weapons!
- Utilize instant Kill melee weapons for that added, up close and personal touch!
- Gun down your opponents with heavy flack from your shotgun or mow them down with the Stampeder Chaingun!
- Got more enemies than bullets? Switch to your grenades and cause some splash damage!
✠ NEED PRACTICE? ✠
- Not only does Warm Gun offer Online multi-player action, but it also delivers in Offline mode. Hone your skills and master the environments as you frag AI Bots across all five unique levels in offline mode.
✠ CUSTOMIZABLE CONTROLS & OPTIONS✠
- Select one of three different control schemes and adjust their sensitivity for maximum control!
❤ INDIE LOVE ❤
- Support indie game development and show your love!
- Emotional Robots is a self-funded, independent games developer. Whats not to love?
✠ NOT SOLD YET!? ✠
- We believe in Warm Gun so much that we are offering a free stand alone app, Warm Gun: Carnival of Bullets!
This single player adventure takes players on a post-apocalyptic ride through a decayed amusement park. Jammed packed with shooting ranges, mini games and a few surprises, players are invited to hone their skills in the many wonders of… The Carnival of Bullets!
What's New in Version 1.8✠ Added GameCenter Achievements ✠
✠ Added three new maps ✠
✠ Added Outlaw AI ✠
✠ Updated Controls ✠
✠ Complete Overhaul of the AI ✠
✠ New Traps and Triggers ✠
✠ Improved Stability On All Devices ✠
✠ Multiple Bug fixes and tweaks ✠
✠ Removed Gamespy multiplayer support ✠