Amateur Surgeon 2 Review
- Updated utensils with an upgrade system.
- New crazy scenarios and 'boss' battles.
- While not entirely serious, the themes can be mature (or is that immature?)
Amateur Surgeon 2 continues its whacky take on backyard hospitalization, fixing issues from the original that help to make this a far more immersive title.
- Full Review
- App Store Info
Alan Probe and his backyard surgery antics are back again in Amateur Surgeon 2, but things aren't quite the same as before as Alan is now a retiree (forced) and his skills have atrophied over time.
At least that's the reason they've given for needing to polish up your skills from scratch again, but then again I'm all for any excuse to perform life threatening operations out of a dirty bathtub. Much like the previous title you'll play a virtual game of Operation (or for Nintendo gamers a simplified version of Trauma Center), where you'll make use of various house utensils to cut open and cure the ailments of your patients. Most of the tools require swiping to suture, cauterize and salve wounds (amongst other things), though the trick is in quickly switching between them to keep your patient stable. Also, the previously frustrating 'corkscrew' has been replaced by a far more forgiving syringe and several new ailments have been added specifically for this tool as well.
The interface has been streamlined slightly from the previous outing and while the same quirky cartoonish style has been used, far more detail has gone in to the artwork for the internal organs. You'll also come across more than a few animals crawling around inside your patients, which adds a fun spin to the process, though other less delightful levels include having to tilt your iDevice while performing surgery as quickly as possible.
Amateur Surgeon 2 is more of the same, though some small tweaks and additions help to make this a more engaging experience. Definitely worth grabbing for fans and those that don't mind taking a crack at fake surgical operations.
Description"Amateur Surgeon 2 is a fantastic sequel. They took everything that was good about the original, tweaked the things that weren't, made the game perform a little better, and loaded it with new content." - Touch Arcade
"With new patients, new surgeries, and a whole slew of medical ethics violations, this sequel sure packs an entertaining punch." - Cult of Mac
"The storyline is humorous, gory and frankly down right insane, but a whole lot of fun." - Crazy Mike's Apps
Alan Probe is back with new patients, new surgeries, and a whole slew of medical ethics violations. Taking place 51 years after the events of the first Amateur Surgeon, Amateur Surgeon 2 brings Alan Probe out of retirement to contend with twenty new surgical procedures of questionably necessary proportions. Facial reconstruction. Clowning emergencies. And a squidectomy. Grab your pizza cutter!
• 30 surgeries! (20 in the main game PLUS 10 bonus surgeries in Circus Freakout expansion!)
• All-new patients including Uncle Chuckles and Cap’n Splinters
• Upgrade your tools and make them faster/easier/more accurate
• New pinch to zoom feature gives you a closer look at those hard-to-reach lesions
• Use the touch screen and (on select surgeries) accelerometer tilt control to perform operations
• New syringe tool makes reviving your nearly-dead patients a snap
• Compete against other amateur medical professionals via Open Feint leaderboards and achievements
-- NOW INCLUDES CIRCUS FREAKOUT EXPANSION --
This update includes TEN new surgeries in a brand-new Amateur Surgeon 2 sidestory designed exclusively for the iPhone/iPod touch. Join Alan and Bradley as they investigate strange happenings under the big top.
• SEE the all-new sickly circus freaks to operate upon!
• PLAY all 10 missions in this exciting new Amateur Surgeon story!
• COMPETE against your friends on new leaderboards for the expansion's surgeries!
• WONDER at the advanced medical techniques* on show!
* The Circus Freakout! expansion includes procedures that take advantage of your device's accelerometer.
(It's recommended that you play 4-5 surgeries into the Main Game before trying your hand at Circus Freakout as it requires knowledge of the tools introduced to you during the beginning stages of Amateur Surgeon 2.)
Help us address crashes by sending what happened, what device/iOS version you're on to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/adultswimgames
Twitter - https://www.twitter.com/adultswimgames
Our Website - http://www.games.adultswim.com
What's New in Version 2.3** Now Supports iPhone5 screen resolution and Push Notifications!!**
Also, OpenFeint has been removed
More to come, let us know on Facebook/Twitter what you'd like to see! @adultswimgames / facebook.com/adultswimgames